Quigley Beats Ranked Opponent; Wildcats Lost to No. 9 Stanford 4-2
Feb. 14, 2010
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Although University of Kentucky men’s tennis sophomore Eric Quigley defeated a top-60 singles player for the second consecutive match, the No. 10 Kentucky men’s tennis team lost to No. 9 Stanford 4-2 in its second consolation match at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s National Team Indoor Championships on Sunday.
Ranked eighth in the ITA singles poll, Quigley posted his fourth win over a top-60 ranked player when he defeated No. 54 Bradley Klahn of Stanford in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (7-5). The native of Pewee Valley, Ky., has won six consecutive matches that ended in a decision. The UK sophomore was 2-0 over the weekend in singles, posting two victories over ranked opponents and having one match that did not finish.
The Wildcats (7-3) second point came at the No. 5 singles position from junior Alberto Gonzalez. A native of Bradenton, Fla., Gonzalez defeated Stanford freshman Matt Kandath 6-4, 7-5. The junior has had several key wins this season for Kentucky, claiming the match winning points over then-No. 2 Virginia and then-No. 16 Wake Forest. Gonzalez finishes the national indoors at 1-1 with one match unfinished and improves his overall record to 6-2.
UK lost the doubles point after ninth-ranked Quigley and junior Brad Cox could not pull the upset over the top-ranked doubles team in the country of Ryan Thacher and Klahn, falling 8-4. Kentucky was leading at No. 3 doubles when the doubles point was decided. Sophomore Alex Musialek and freshman Anthony Rossi led Kandath and Denis Len 5-4.
Kentucky will return to action on Sunday Feb., 21 when it travels to face No. 2 Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio. It will mark the second time this season that UK will face a team ranked second in the country. The Wildcats beat then-No. 2 Virginia earlier in February.
ITA National Team Indoor Championships
No. 9 Stanford 4, No. 10 Kentucky 2
1. #8 Eric Quigley (UK) def. #54 Bradley Klahn (Stan.) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. #37 Alex Clayton (Stan.) led #39 Alex Musialek (UK) 1-6, 6-2, 4-1 DNF
3. Ryan Thacher (Stan.) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-4, 6-4
4. Richard Wire (Stan.) def. Anthony Rossi (UK) 7-6 (7-5), 6-25. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) def. Matt Kandath (Stan.) 6-4, 7-5
6. Greg Hirshman (Stan.) def. Graeme Dyce (UK) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 5, 4*
1. #1 Ryan Thacher/Bradley Klahn (Stan.) def. #9 Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) 8-4
2. Alex Clayton/Richard Wire (Stan.) def. Alex Lambropoulos/Alberto Gonzalez (UK) 8-1
3. Alex Musialek/Anthony Rossi (UK) led Matt Kandath/Denis Len (Stan.) 5-4
Order of finish: 2, 1