Wildcat's Bid for Consecutive Upsets Spoiled By No. 3 UCLA 4-1
Feb. 12, 2010
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- University of Kentucky men's tennis sophomore Alex Musialek posted his third-consecutive singles victory, but No. 3 UCLA took down No. 10 Kentucky 4-1 in the opening round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's National Team Indoor Championships Friday at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
UK will take on No. 13 Illinois on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET in the consolation bracket of the tournament. Illinois lost to No. 4 Tennessee 4-0 on Friday in the opening round.
Kentucky got its lone singles win at the No. 2 singles position from sophomore Alex Musialek. The reining Southeastern Conference Player of the Week posted a 7-5, 6-3 victory over UCLA junior Holden Seguso. The victory marks the third consecutive straight-sets victory for the native of Dax, France, who is ranked 39th in the ITA singles rankings.
UK was in line for possible wins at the No. 1 and No. 5 singles positions, but the matches did not finish due to UCLA senior Kallim Stewart clinching the match for the Bruins at the No. 6 singles position. Playing at the No. 1 singles position, Kentucky sophomore Eric Quigley won the first set against UCLA's Haythem Abid 6-4, but lost the second set 4-6. The Pewee Valley, Ky., native was trailing 3-2 in the third set.
Junior Alberto Gonzalez (Bradenton, Fla.) was headed for a three-set match with No. 94 Amit Inbar of UCLA at the No. 5 singles position after winning the first set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (9-7) and trailing in the second set 5-4.
No. 118 Nick Meister, Matt Brooklyn and Stewart claimed the three-singles wins for UCLA at the No. 3, 4 and 6 singles positions, respectfully.
The Wildcats lost the doubles point for the first time in five matches, but Quigley and junior Brad Cox held strong at the No. 1 doubles position. The ninth-ranked duo defeated Abid and Seguso 9-7. Quigley and Cox are now 4-1 on the season and have won two straight doubles matches.
No. 3 UCLA 4, No. 10 Kentucky 1
1. Haythem Abid (UCLA) led #8 Eric Quigley (UK) 4-6, 6-4, 3-2 DNF
2. #39 Alex Musialek (UK) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 7-5, 6-3
3. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-3, 6-4
4. Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Anthony Rossi (UK) 7-5, 6-1
5. Alberto Gonzalez (UK) led #94 Amit Inbar 7-6 (9-7), 4-5 DNF
6. Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Graeme Dyce (UK) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 6*
1. #9 Eric Quigley/Brad Cox (UK) def. Haythem Abid/Holden Seguso (UCLA) 9-7
2. Amit Inbar/Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Alberto Gonzalez/Alex Lambropoulos (UK) 8-6
3. #36 Matt Brooklyn/Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Anthony Rossi/Alex Musialek (UK) 9-8
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3