Marshall Ends Soccer's School-Record Unbeaten Streak

Sept. 20, 2009

Box Score | Box Score (PDF) | Photo Gallery

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Dustin Dawes' golden goal in the 102nd minute lifted the Marshall Thundering Herd to a 1-0 upset win over the 22nd-ranked Kentucky men's soccer team, on sloppy field conditions Sunday night in front of 830 fans at the UK Soccer Complex.

After 101 minutes of scoreless soccer and just into the second overtime, Dawes hooked up with Aaron Hembree for the golden goal, sending Marshall home with the win. Marshall notches the win in the Conference USA opener, improving its all-time record against UK to 6-13-3, including a 2-6-1 record in games played in Lexington.

The loss snaps UK's school-record 15-match unbeaten streak, dating back to an October, 2008 setback at then-No. 14 Tulsa. The Wildcats unbeaten streak spanned 342 days, 48 weeks, or 11 months and seven days, well passing the previous record of seven games, set in 1997, 1998 and 2004. Before the loss, UK's 5-0 start equaled the best start to a season in the 19-year history of the program, equaling the 5-0 start the 1995 team charted.

The UK loss to the Thundering Herd marked the first loss in Lexington in nine years, dating back to the 2002 season.

Kentucky (5-1-0, 0-1-0 C-USA) dominated the pace of play throughout the game, posting a commanding 13-5 advantage in total shots and a 4-1 margin in corner kicks. Marshall mustered just three shots in the final 57 minutes, with UK firing five shots in the second half to just one Thundering Herd attempt. UK fired six shots in the first half and two in the first overtime period.

UK keeper Dan Williams was solid in goal, saving three shots. Marshall keeper Daniel Withrow turned in a gem of a performance, saving seven shots and keeping MU in the game throughout the contest, making several diving saves. In addition, Withrow make several leaping clearances of UK crosses. MU defender Kendall Sutton put on a show on the backline, showcasing game-breaking speed to thwart several UK offensive chances.

UK freshman midfielder Matt Lodge, junior Josh McCrary and senior forward Tim Crone each fired two shots for the Wildcats, with Brad Walker, Jason Griffiths, Marco dos Santos, Tyler Burns, Barry Rice, George Davis IV and Taylor White each added a shot.

Kentucky first-team preseason All-American Barry Rice won 7-of-9 contested header attempts in the game, bringing his season total up to 51-for-60 on the season.

The Wildcats had a great chance in the 10th minute, as Griffiths fired a shot from 20-yards out at the top of the box, with Withrow making a diving save.

In the 54th minute, UK had arguably its best chance, as Crone came free on a breakaway, firing a shot that forced a Withrow save.

Marshall's (3-3-1, 1-0-0 C-USA) goal came at the beginning of the second overtime period on a MU counter attack. The Thundering Herd caught UK off balance, forcing Williams out of position to stop a MU shot. With Williams scrambling to get back, Dawes connected on a slow-roller that dribbled past a diving Williams into the far corner of the net. The game-winning goal was Dawes' team-best second of the year.

UK hits the road Wednesday, traveling to Cincinnati for a 7 p.m. ET matchup with non-conference foe Xavier.