Johnson is SEC Defensive Player of the Week
Oct. 19, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Linebacker Micah Johnson has been named the Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Week, the league office has announced.
Johnson claimed 14 tackles in Saturday's 21-14 win at Auburn, sharing game-high honors with teammate Danny Trevathan. Johnson also had a tackle for loss during the game. The senior from Ft. Campbell, Ky., spearheaded the Kentucky defense which limited Auburn to seven offensive points and 315 total yards. Entering the game, Auburn had averaged 38.3 points and 489.8 yards per game.
Johnson is the second Wildcat to earn SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors this season. Cornerback Trevard Lindley also was honored for the Miami game.
Mississippi State Game Selected by Fox Sports: Kentucky's home game against Mississippi State on Oct. 31 has been selected for live telecast by Fox Sports. Game time is 7 p.m.
The game will be carried on Fox Sports South, along with additional Fox Sports regional channels that will be announced the week of the game. Bob Rathbun will call the play-by-play, with Dave Archer handling the analysis and Jenn Hildreth providing reports from the sidelines.
Seven Players Honored by Phil Steele's College Football Magazine: Seven Kentucky football players have been tabbed for mid-season All-America and/or All-Southeastern Conference honors by Phil Steele's College Football magazine.
Here is the list of the mid-season accolades:
- Cornerback Trevard Lindley is third-team All-America and first-team All-SEC.
- Tailback Derrick Locke is fourth-team All-America and second-team All-SEC as a kickoff returner; Locke is also third-team All-SEC as a tailback.
- Defensive tackle Corey Peters is second-team All-SEC.
- Randall Cobb is second-team All-SEC as a wide receiver and punt returner.
- Center Jorge Gonzalez is second-team All-SEC.
- Linebacker Micah Johnson is second-team All-SEC.
- Offensive tackle Zipp Duncan is third-team All-SEC.