2011 Kentucky Football Game Day Changes
Sept. 8, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- With the beginning of the home football schedule, the University of Kentucky has announced the following guest experience enhancements and changes to game day operations on Saturdays at Commonwealth Stadium this fall.
Based upon feedback received from season ticket holders and guests, UK Athletics continues efforts to enhance the guest experience through:
- Video Board/Ribbon Boards – Newly installed video boards by Daktronics measuring 39 by 79 feet, each, will bring a total of 6,162 square feet of video capability to Commonwealth Stadium this season. The new video boards put UK among the nation’s leaders in video square footage. Also new for 2011, the Sportsound system will deliver pounding bass energy, smooth mid- and high-range frequencies, and high-impact entertainment. Components of the sound system include a main speaker cluster behind the end zone, under-balcony speakers and concourse speakers. Commonwealth Stadium's interior seating bowl will have new LED ribbon boards, allowing fans a more enjoyable experience.
- Upgraded sound system designed to more efficiently and effectively distribute sound throughout Commonwealth Stadium
- On-going installation of equipment to facilitate debit/credit card transactions at all permanent concessions stands in Commonwealth Stadium. ATM’s will still be available on the lower concourse inside Gates 1, 4, 9 and 12.
- Coordination with local mobile carriers to enhance game day mobile network/service through installation of a Distributed Antennae System, designed to significantly increase the capacity and capability of the network at Commonwealth Stadium. Work is scheduled to be completed at the end of the September between the Florida (Sept. 24) and Jacksonville State (Oct. 22) games.
- The UK Marching Band will be moved to section 104.
- Enhanced sustainability/recycling program. Event staff, at parking lot entrances, will distribute bags to guests upon entry. Guests are asked to place all beverage containers in provided bags and either dispose of them in marked recycling receptacles (located in the parking lots) and/or leave recycling bags at the rear end of their vehicle pre-game. After kick-off, crews will collect, transport and process all recycling bags left in the parking lot. Additionally, Commonwealth Stadium gates and concourses will be equipped with recycling receptacles. Post-game, recycling crews will collect, transport and process all recyclable materials left in receptacles and seating areas of Commonwealth Stadium.
- Addition of more portable restrooms outside the stadium.
- Improved GuestAssist service – GuestAssist brings customer service right into your pocket, enabling you to start a text message conversation with Commonwealth Stadium Operations personnel directly. Whether you need parking information, the closest location of a concession stand or to report an issue in your seating area, GuestAssist makes it simple and easy. Commonwealth Stadium personnel will monitor and respond to guests’ inquiries on a real-time basis and if needed, dispatch support, security, etc. to resolve the matter. Guests wishing to utilize the service should:
- Text CATS, your message and seat location to 78247 (CATS must be the first four characters in the message body. Standard text message rates apply.)
- COMING SOON – GuestAssist has launched a FREE iPhone/iPad App available on the App Store. Additionally, in September, GuestAssist will launch an App, available via the Android Market, to enjoy on your Android phone or tablet. Apps will include much of the information currently available on the UK Football Game Day Website (www.ukathletics.com/fbgameday) or in Fan Guides received with your season tickets.
Prior to the 2010 season, a number of operational changes were initiated affecting several aspects of game day operations, including tow-behind trailers; guests’ golf cart use; adjustments to parking and tailgating along Cooper Drive; closure of Hospital Drive on game days; and backpacks entry into Commonwealth Stadium.
As a reminder to guests of Commonwealth Stadium in 2011, below is a detailed description these changes continued for the 2011 season:
Tow-Behind Trailer Policy
- Beginning 2010, tow-behind trailers will not be allowed to park on paved surface lots within the Commonwealth Stadium complex, unless they too have a parking permit.
- Guests bringing a tow-behind trailer, without a parking permit for the trailer, will be directed to the nearest grass lot (Orange or Purple).
- All tow-behind trailers will be directed to park in the periphery of the Orange or Purple grass lots.
- Guests bringing tow-behind trailers, without a parking permit for the trailer, may contact the KFund parking office (859.257.6300) in advance to setup an in-person exchange of their Red, Blue or Green permit for an Orange or Purple grass lot permit.
Guest Golf Cart Use
- Beginning 2010, guests’ golf cart use will be prohibited on the Commonwealth Stadium Complex to include all parking lots, sidewalks, streets, etc.
- This includes motorized scooters/coolers, etc.
- Scooters used by individuals with disabilities will be permitted
- Guests are asked not to bring golf carts to the complex.
Cooper Drive Tailgate & Parking
- Tailgate setups and parking vehicles may begin no earlier than Noon on Fridays prior to Game Day.
- Beginning Noon on Friday, two vehicles will be permitted to parallel park outside/along painted 6’ restraining line, within each designated tailgate box/area. Vehicles will be restricted from parking in any water retention ditches, flood areas, sidewalks and otherwise marked off areas.
Game day traffic on hospital drive - UK Medical center emergency room
- Hospital Drive, connecting Limestone and University Drive, will be closed strictly for Emergency Room traffic on Game Day. Guests with Parking Structure #1 permits may access Parking Structure #1 via University Drive only.
- Beginning 2010, guests’ backpacks will not be permitted in Commonwealth Stadium.
- Purses, small handbags, etc. will be permitted and all bags are subject to search.
Please visit the UK Football Game Day Website for all your game day information needs:
- What’s New in 2011
- GuestAssist – customer service text-messaging system
- Directions & Pre/Post Game Traffic
- Parking/Tailgating Policies
- Downtown & Campus Shuttles
- RV Information – permitted RV’s, non-permitted RV’s
- Maps – Permit Parking, Non-Permit Parking, Pre/Post Game Traffic Flow, Campus Shuttle, Downtown Shuttle, Stadium Diagram
- Commonwealth Stadium A-Z – stadium services, policies & procedures
- About Lexington
- Traditions – The Cat Walk, Wildcat Refuge, UK Marching Band Parade, Countdown to Kickoff
Should you have questions/concerns regarding your game day experience, please submit an email to the UK game day email account (UKGameday@uky.edu). Commonwealth Stadium Management will respond to you inquiries in a timely manner.