Six Cats on Coaches' Preseason All-SEC
July 16, 2009
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Six Kentucky players were voted to the Preseason All-Southeastern Conference Team selected by the league coaches, including cornerback Trevard Lindley, linebacker Micah Johnson, quarterback Mike Hartline, offensive tackle Zipp Duncan, center Jorge Gonzalez and defensive tackle Corey Peters.
Lindley was named to the first team, Johnson on the second team, and the other four were third-team picks. Kentucky's total of six selections was seventh-most among the 12 SEC teams.
- Lindley (Hiram, Ga.) was a second-team All-American last season and a consensus first-team All-SEC choice. He had four interceptions and 11 pass breakups, leading the SEC in pass breakups per game. He holds the UK career record for pass breakups with 34.
- Johnson (Ft. Campbell, Ky.) was a first-team Coaches' All-SEC pick in 2008. He totaled 93 tackles last season, despite missing two and one-half games because of injury, and ranked third in the league in tackles per game. He also rated sixth in the SEC in tackles for loss with 13.
- Hartline (Canton, Ohio) completed 55.3 percent of his passes last season for 1,666 yards and nine touchdowns. He was UK's Most Outstanding Offensive Player in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl victory over East Carolina. He also received various player of the week honors after Wildcat victories over Middle Tennessee and Arkansas.
- Duncan (Magnolia, Ky.) was a key part of the UK offensive line that ranked fourth in the nation last season in fewest quarterback sacks allowed and 11 th in fewest tackles for loss allowed. After starting every game the last two seasons at offensive guard, he will shift to left tackle for the 2009 season.
- Gonzalez (Tampa, Fla.) was named the team's Most Improved Offensive Player by UK coaches for the 2008 season. Like Duncan, he played a role in the UK offensive line that ranked fourth in the nation last season in fewest quarterback sacks allowed and 11 th in fewest tackles for loss allowed.
- Peters (Louisville, Ky.) totaled 36 tackles last season. He emerged as a big-play performer with 10 tackles for loss and four quarterback sacks. He added two pass breakups and a fumble recovery.
Kickoff Luncheon Set for July 31: The annual Kentucky Football Kickoff Luncheon has been set for Friday, July 31, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Lexington.
During the luncheon, fans will hear Coach Rich Brooks' plans for the 2009 season as he attempts to guide the Wildcats to an unprecedented fourth-consecutive bowl trip. Fans also will have the opportunity to ask questions of the head coach. The event is capped by the always-popular highlight video, which chronicles the successes of the 2008 season and the AutoZone Liberty Bowl championship.
Individual tickets cost $40 each and a table of 10 costs $400. Parking will be available in the High Street parking lot across from the hotel. For reservations, contact Leslie Bray at 859-257-2589 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Kentucky Football Calendar:
|Wed. July 22||SEC Football Media Days in Birmingham, Ala.; Coach Rich Brooks, offensive tackle Zipp Duncan and cornerback Trevard Lindley represent UK|
|Fri. July 31||Kickoff Luncheon, presented by Kroger, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Lexington; individual tickets are $40 each, table of 10 for $400|
|Thurs. Aug. 6||Players report|
|Fri. Aug. 7||First team practice|
|Sat. Aug. 8||Fan Day at Commonwealth Stadium, time TBA|