Good Day for the Defense
April 21, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky football defense played well during practice Wednesday morning, perhaps the best it has played this spring, Coach Joker Phillips indicated following the workout.
“I think that it was (the defense's best practice),” Phillips said. “They did a good job of holding their gaps and stopping the run and the safeties did a good job of filling. We have to get better in our pass defense because we didn't do that as well but one of the things that we have been putting an emphasis on is stopping the run in the last couple of practices.
“I am really pleased with the way that the defense has started to practice. They are wrapping people up and putting their face on people. (Linebacker) Danny Trevathan was one of the leaders over there in doing that and I think that they have taken what he has shown them and they all have started to practice that way. We are not there yet but we are getting better.”
The Wildcats return to practice Friday for the final workout before the Blue/White Spring Game on Saturday.
Blue/White Game, Presented by Verizon Wireless, Set for Saturday: The Kentucky football team will have its first Blue/White Spring Game under the direction of new head coach Joker Phillips on Saturday, April 24, at 1 p.m. in Commonwealth Stadium. The event is presented by Verizon Wireless.
Here is some additional information on the Blue/White Game:
- Admission and parking are free on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Parking lots open at 8 a.m. and fans are welcome to tailgate.
- Stadium gates open at 11:30 a.m.
- There will be a radio broadcast on the Big Blue Sports Network, including WLAP in Lexington (630 on the AM dial), WHAS in Louisville (840 AM) and WCKY in Cincinnati (1530 AM).
- Concession stands and the Nike Team Shops will be available on the stadium concourse.
- The stadium ticket office outside Gate 4 will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in order for current season-ticket holders to renew their tickets. Current season-ticket holders should receive their renewal forms in the mail this week.
Revised Format For Blue/White Game: Because of some injuries at key positions, the coaching staff has decided to make the Blue/White Game offense vs. defense instead of a standard game format.
“We have changed the format now because of some injuries at some positions that won't allow us to break the teams up,” Coach Joker Phillips said. “We will go offense vs. defense and (use a) scoring system. It will be similar to the first scrimmage that you guys saw but we will keep a scoring system for the defense so they will be able to score points. We feel that the way our numbers are and having to switch people back-and-forth that it will be better to do offense vs. defense.”
The scoring system for the offense features:
First down = 1 point
Field goal = 3 points
Touchdown = 6 points
PAT = 1 point
The defensive scoring system features:
Three and out (force punt on first series) = 3 points
Stop on downs (force punt during the series) = 1 point
Stop on fourth down = 2 points
Turnover = 6 points
Touchdown = 10 points