UK at Mississippi State Football Moved to Thursday
March 5, 2013
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Kentucky at Mississippi State football game has been moved to Thursday, Oct. 24, the Southeastern Conference has announced. The game will begin at 7:30 p.m. EDT and will be televised by ESPN.
This will mark UK's seventh appearance on a Thursday night game on an ESPN affiliate, all of which have come away from home.
- On Sept. 23, 1993, Kentucky scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to notch a come-from-behind 21-17 win at South Carolina. Randy Wyatt scored on a 64-yard run with 11:47 to play and Michael Woodfork put the Wildcats ahead with a one-yard plunge with 4:55 left. The Wildcat defense stopped USC's final two possessions on a fumble recovery and an interception in the end zone. The win was viewed as a turning point of the season as the Wildcats eventually advanced to the 1993 Peach Bowl.
- On Sept. 29, 1994, Auburn took control early in defeating the Wildcats, 44-14, at Auburn.
- On Nov. 4, 1999, Mississippi State kicker Scott Westerfield nailed a 45-yard field goal with five seconds remaining to give the Bulldogs a 23-22 win in Starkville. It was a heartbreaking loss for the Wildcats, who were one win away from bowl eligibility and also missed a chance to upset the undefeated Bulldogs. UK bounced back, however, with a win at Vanderbilt that sent the Cats to the Music City Bowl.
- On Oct. 9, 2003, Kentucky trailed 27-7 in the fourth quarter at South Carolina. Shane Boyd, subbing for the injured Jared Lorenzen, led two touchdown drives to pull within 27-21. The Cats got the ball back late in the game but South Carolina held on for the win.
- On Oct. 4, 2007, in a matchup of top-20 teams, host South Carolina bested Kentucky, 38-23, handing the Wildcats their first loss of the season. UK recovered in its next game and dispatched No. 1-ranked LSU.
- On Sept. 1, 2011, Kentucky opened the season with a 14-3 win against WKU at Nashville's LP Field. The Wildcat defense allowed only a field goal, while Josh Clemons ran for a 14-yard touchdown and Morgan Newton threw a 31-yard TD pass to La'Rod King.
Here is Kentucky's updated 2013 schedule:
|Aug. 31||vs. WKU||Nashville, Tenn. (LP Field)||TBA|
|Sept. 7||Miami (Ohio)||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Sept. 14||Louisville||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Sept. 21||Open Date||-||-|
|Sept. 28||Florida||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Oct. 5||at South Carolina||Columbia, S.C.||TBA|
|Oct. 12||Alabama||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Oct. 19||Open Date||-||-|
|Oct. 24||at Mississippi State||Starkville, Miss.||7:30 p.m. ET|
|Nov. 2||Alabama State||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Nov. 9||Missouri||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|
|Nov. 16||at Vanderbilt||Nashville, Tenn.||TBA|
|Nov. 23||at Georgia||Athens, Ga.||TBA|
|Nov. 30||Tennessee||Lexington, Ky.||TBA|