Kentucky-Tennessee State Postgame Notes
Nov. 28, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 7-5 overall, 3-5 in the Southeastern Conference. Tennessee is 7-5 overall, 4-4 in league play.
- Tennessee leads the series, 73-23-9. The Volunteers have won 25 in a row.
- UK is now 2-4 all-time in overtime games; 2-3 in overtime games at Commonwealth Stadium.
- The last overtime game UK played was two years ago in Lexington (11/24/07), also against Tennessee. The Volunteers won the game in four overtimes 52-50.
- Attendance for tonight's game was 70,981, the sixth-largest crowd in Commonwealth Stadium history.
- Kentucky set the season attendance record for the third-consecutive year. UK averaged 69,594 per game. The previous record was 69,434 fans per game in 2008.
- Senior Day ceremonies were held before the game, honoring 27 Wildcats.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats await a bowl bid, which would be a school-record fourth-consecutive bowl game.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky has a 15-10 record in the last 25 games decided by 10 points or less.
- The last Kentucky player to return an interception for a TD prior to Sam Maxwell's 56-yarder was Randall Burden vs. ULM on Oct. 24, 2009 earlier this season.
- Kentucky has returned three “picks for six” this season which is the most since returning three interceptions for TDs in 1974.
- UK has intercepted a pass in eight straight games and 10 of 12 contests this season.
- Kentucky has scored at least 20 points in 11 of its 12 games this season, matching a mark set in the 1998 season.
- UK went 3-of-3 from the red zone in the game, scoring three touchdowns. On the year, UK has converted 36 of 43 opportunities (83.7 percent) this season for 231 points (31 touchdowns, seven field goals, three missed field goals, three loss on downs, two turnovers one end of half).
1st Quarter Summary
- UK's Sam Maxwell intercepted UT's Jonathan Crompton for a 56-yd TD (10:41);
- It was the sixth interception for Maxwell this season and first TD of his career
- Maxwell now has seven career interceptions, including 4 in the last 5 games. UK 7, UT 0
- UT's Jonathan Crompton completed a 30-yd pass to Gerald Jones (10:21)
- UT's Denarius Moore rushed for 21 yards (9:45)
- UT's Montario Hardesty rushed for a nine yard TD (9:34); UK 7, UT 7
- UK's Randall Cobb converted a 4 th and 1 at the UT 31 with a 3-yd rush (2:33)
- UK's Randall Cobb rushed for a 17-yard TD (0:07); UK 14, UT 7
- It was Cobb's 10th rushing touchdown this season and 17th of his career
2nd Quarter Summary
- UK's John Conner rushed for 17 yards to the UK 46 on 3 rd and 1 (12:09)
- UK's Ryan Tydlacka punted for 46 yards to the UT 4 yard line (11:08)
- UK's Randall Cobb completed a 31-yd pass to Chris Matthews (9:13)
- UT's Wes Brown caused a fumble by UK's Morgan Newton at the UT 34 (7:29)
- UT's Jonathan Crompton completed an 18-yd pass to Denarius Moore (5:52)
- UT's Montario Hardesty rushed for a 14-yd TD (3:54); UK 14, UT 14
- It was Hardesty ‘second rushing TD of the game
- UK's Randall Cobb returned the kickoff 43 yards to the UT 40
- UK's Morgan Newton completed a 15-yd screen pass to Derrick Locke to the UT 7 (1:04)
- UK's Derrick Locke rushed for a 1-yd TD (0:39); UK 21, UT 14
- It was the sixth rushing TD of the season for Locke and the 12th of his career
- UT's Devin Mathis missed a 49-yard field goal (0:03)
3rd Quarter Summary
- UT's Jonathan Crompton completed a 39-yd pass to Gerald Jones to the UK 9 (11:48)
- UT's Jonathan Crompton was stopped on 4 th and goal from the UK 1 (10:11)
- UK's Corey Peters made the tackle on the goal-line stop
- UT's Jonathan Crompton passed for a 16-yd TD to Luke Stocker (3:40); UK 21, UT 21
- UT's Rico McCoy caused a fumble by UK's Randall Cobb at the UK 28 (3:21)
- UT's Devin Mathis made a 30-yard field goal (0:44); UT 24, UK 21
4th Quarter Summary
- UT's Janzen Jackson sacked UK's Morgan Newton for a loss of 11 (12:38)
- UK's Ashton Cobb caused a fumble by UT's Luke Stocker which was recovered by UK's Taylor Wyndham at the UT 37-yard line (2:21)
- UK's Lones Seiber connected on a 23-yard field goal (0:33); UK 24, UT 24
- End of regulation; UK 24, UT 24
1st Overtime Summary
- Wildcats started on offense.
- UK's Lones Seiber missed a 49-yard field goal wide left.
- UT's Montario Hardesty rushed for a 20-yard touchdown. UT 30, UK 24
UK Individual Notes
- Locke gained 22 yards and on the ground and rushed for a touchdown in the game. He now has 1,667 yards in his career and ranks 13 th on the all-time rushing list. He needs 20 more to tie Ivy Joe Hunter (1985-88) for 12 th place.
- Micah Johnson totaled a career-high 16 tackles, giving him six double-digit performances this season and 10 for his career.
- Johnson's 16-tackle effort is the most by a Wildcat since Wesley Woodyard posted 17 tackles against Arkansas two seasons ago (9/22/07).
- Randall Cobb has scored 15 touchdowns this season and at least one TD in 14 of 22 career games. Cobb has scored a touchdown in the last eight games he has played in this season.
- Cobb rushed for 101 yards on 18 carries to lead the team and ran for a touchdown. It marked his second career game over 100 yards on the ground.
- Cobb led the Cats in receiving with four catches totaling 24 yards and also completed a 31-yard pass to Chris Matthews in the second quarter.
- Sam Maxwell's sixth pick of the season tied him for third all-time for interceptions in a season.
- Trevard Lindley made a season-high seven tackles in his final game at Commonwealth Stadium.
- Taylor Wyndham recovered his first career fumble in the fourth quarter that led to UK's game-tying drive.
- DeQuin Evans made two tackles-for-loss tonight, including a sack. Evans leads the team in both categories with six sacks and 12.5 TFL this season.