Kentucky-Georgia Postgame Notes
Nov. 21, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 7-4 on the season, 3-4 in the Southeastern Conference. Georgia is 6-5 overall, 4-4 in the SEC.
- Georgia leads the series, 49-12-2.
- This was Kentucky's first win at Georgia in 32 years, since 1977.
- Kentucky has won five of its last six games.
- Kentucky has won at least seven games for the fourth consecutive season.
- Kentucky has won three consecutive SEC road games for the first time in 32 years, since 1977.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats close out the regular season at home against Tennessee on Saturday, Nov. 28. Game time is 7 p.m. and will be televised by ESPNU.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky is 15-9 in the last 24 games decided by 10 or fewer points.
- Kentucky has won 27 games since mid-season 2006, with 12 of those wins coming as fourth-quarter comebacks. This is UK's third such win in 2009, along with the Louisville and Auburn games.
- Kentucky was 3-for-3 in the red zone tonight.
UK Individual Notes
- Quarterback Morgan Newton completed 9-of-17 passes for 137 yards and a career-high three touchdowns.
- UK now has a 5-1 record with Newton as the starting quarterback.
- Tailback Derrick Locke rushed for a game-high 80 yards. He now has 1,645 career rushing yards, moving him to 14 th on the all-time UK list.
- Locke also caught two passes for a season-high 80 yards. He was just one yard shy of his career high of 81 yards vs. Alabama in 2008.
- Cornerback Trevard Lindley recorded a career-high tying three pass breakups in the game. He moves into fourth place on the SEC career list.
- Tailback Alfonso Smith finished with three rushing yards. He now needs 52 more for 1,000 in his career.
- Freshman WR La'Rod King caught his first collegiate touchdown pass, a 21-yarder in the third quarter.
- Defensive tackle Corey Peters had a career-high 10 tackles. His previous high was eight vs. Louisiana-Monroe in 2006. He also charted a career-best two pass breakups.
- Defensive tackle Shane McCord grabbed his first career interception in the fourth quarter.
- Linebacker Danny Trevathan charted his first career fumble recovery in the fourth quarter.
- Linebacker Sam Maxwell recorded his fifth season and sixth career interception in the fourth quarter. He also finished with a team-high 11 tackles, his second career game with double figures.
- Linebacker Micah Johnson had 10 tackles in the game. It marked his fifth season and ninth career game with double-figure stops.
1st Quarter Summary
- Kentucky opened the scoring on its second possession with a 20-yard touchdown pass from Morgan Newton to tailback Derrick Locke. It was Locke's first TD reception of the season, second of his career. An errant snap/hold ruined the PAT attempt. UK 6, UGA 0
- Georgia came back with a 21-yard field goal by Blair Walsh after linebacker Sam Maxwell threw the Bulldogs for a two-yard loss on third-and-one at the two-yard line. UK 6, UGA 3
2nd Quarter Summary
- Georgia got a 21-yard touchdown pass from Joe Cox to Rantavious Wooten. Walsh PAT. UGA 10, UK 6
- Georgia got a 20-yard touchdown pass from Joe Cox to Orson Charles. Walsh PAT. UGA 17, UK 6
- Walsh connected on a 45-yard field goal. UGA 20, UK 6
3rd Quarter Summary
- On the opening kickoff of the second half, Moncell Allen knocked loose a fumble that was recovered by Matt Roark on the Georgia 14-yard line. Kentucky took immediate advantage as Randall Cobb rushed for a 12-yard touchdown, his eighth of the season and 15 th of his career. Seiber PAT. UGA 20, UK 13
- Georgia scored on a 43-yard touchdown pass from Joe Cox to Rantavious Wooten. Walsh PAT. UGA 27, UK 13
- Kentucky responded with a 49-yard drive, capped by a 21-yard touchdown pass from Morgan Newton to La'Rod King. Nice one-handed grab by King. Seiber PAT. UGA 27, UK 20
4th Quarter Summary
- Derrick Locke took a screen pass and raced 60 down the sideline for a touchdown, his second TD catch of the game. Seiber PAT. UK 27, UGA 27
- Shane McCord intercepted a pass and rumbled 15 yards to the Georgia eight-yard line. Randall Cobb ran it in from the one-yard line, his second rushing touchdown of the game. UK 34, UGA 27
- Danny Trevathan recovered a UGA fumble on the 1-yard line with 2:21 remaining in the game. It was his first career fumble recovery.
- Sam Maxwell intercepted Joe Cox's pass with 1:45 remaining in the game. It marked his fifth season and sixth career INT.