Kentucky-Vanderbilt Postgame Notes
Nov. 16, 2008
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 6-5, 2-5 in the SEC. Vanderbilt is 6-4, 4-3 in the SEC.
- Kentucky leads the series, 39-38-4, including 21-14-2 in Lexington .
- Kentucky returns to action Nov. 29 for the regular-season finale at Tennessee . The game time will be announced on Monday.
UK Team Notes
- The last time UK blocked a field goal for a touchdown was November 12, 2005 vs. Vanderbilt. UK 's Bo Smith returned the blocked kick 72 yards for the touchdown.
- 21 Wildcat seniors were honored before the game during Senior Night ceremonies.
1st Quarter Summary
- Vanderbilt's Chris Nickson completed a 39-yard pass to Jared Hawkins to the UK 45.
- VU's Nickson completed a 25-yard touchdown pass to D.J. Moore . VU 7, UK 0. (9:31)
- VU's Nickson completed an 18-yard touchdown pass to D.J. Moore . VU 14, UK 0. (2:00)
2nd Quarter Summary
- Kentucky 's Myron Pryor blocked a 42-yard field goal attempt by VU's Bryant Hahnfeldt and was returned 57 yards by David Jones for a touchdown. VU 14, UK 7 (8:45)
- VU's Nickson completed a 1-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Barden. VU 21, UK 7. (2:49)
- VU's Bryant Hanfeldt made a 39-yard field goal. VU 24, UK 7 (0:02)
3rd Quarter Summary
- Vanderbilt's D.J. Moore fumbled a punt return caused by Kentucky 's Alfonso Smith and recovered by UK 's Michael Schwindel at the VU 11-yard line.
- Kentucky 's Tony Dixon rushed for a 3-yard touchdown. It was Dixon 's seventh touchdown of the season and 16 th of his career. VU 24, UK 14. (10:00)
- Vanderbilt's Chris Nickson was sacked by UK 's Johnny Williams for a loss of 12 yards at the VU 13-yard line.
- Kentucky 's Lones Seiber made a 25-yard field goal. VU 24, UK 17 (2:37)
4th Quarter Summary
- Vanderbilt's Jared Hawkins rushed for a 4-yard touchdown. VU 31, UK 17 (14:14)
- Kentucky 's Randall Cobb rushed for a 10-yard touchdown. It was Cobb's seventh rushing touchdown of the season. VU 31, UK 24 (8:22)
- Vanderbilt's D.J. Moore got his second interception of the game on a fourth-and-four play with 2:49 remaining in regulation. VU ran out the clock to end the game.
UK Individual Notes
- With his 25-yard field goal in the third quarter, junior Lones Seiber claimed sole possession of fourth place on UK 's career field goals made list. It was the 35 th field goal of Seiber's career.
- Senior kicker Tim Masthay's rush for 17 yards on a faked punt in the second quarter was his third career successful fake punt attempt .
- Senior linebacker Braxton Kelley made eight stops against Vanderbilt. He now has made at least three tackles in 23 consecutive games. Kelley posted a season-high 1.5 tackles for a loss of five yards against the Commodores.
- Senior cornerback David Jones scored his first career touchdown on a blocked field goal return of 57 yards.
- Senior tailback Tony Dixon gained 6 yards, including a touchdown run, to increase his career total to 1,251 yards, moving him into sole possession of 22 nd place on the UK all-time rushing list.
- Junior wide receiver E.J. Adams gained a career-high 61 yards on a career-high four receptions to lead the Wildcats in receiving. Adams ' 33-yard reception was also a career long.
- True freshman quarterback Randall Cobb threw for a career-high 144 yards on 11 completions. He also gained 72 yards and rushed for a touchdown on 15 carries.
- Junior linebacker Micah Johnson led the team in tackles for the third-straight game and seventh time this season with 12 stops of the Commodores. It is the third time in his career Johnson has reached double digits in tackles.
- Junior tight end Maurice Grinter caught a career-long 34-yard pass from Randall Cobb for his only reception of the game.
- Junior defensive end Jeremy Jarmon posted a season-high six tackles against the Commodores, including two for a loss of 11 yards while also forcing a fumble in the game.
- Junior cornerback Trevard Lindley increased his school-record total for pass-breakups to 34 with two deflections against the Commodores.
- Senior linebacker Johnny Williams increased his team-leading quarterback sack total to five by taking down Vanderbilt's Chris Nickson for a 12-yard loss in the third quarter.
- The UK offensive line did not give up a sack against Vanderbilt to keep its SEC lead in sacks against intact, allowing only a total of 10 this season.