Kentucky Falls to No. 17 Georgia

Nov. 8, 2014

By Charlie Healy, UK media relations

Box Score | Quotes | Notes | USATSI Photo Gallery  | Photo Gallery 

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The Kentucky football team was unable to overcome an early 21-0 deficit in a 63-31 loss to No. 17 Georgia Saturday afternoon in UK's final home contest Commonwealth Stadium of the 2014 season.

The Wildcats (5-5, 2-4 Southeastern Conference) trailed the Bulldogs (7-2, 5-2 SEC) 21-0 just 10:03 into the game but quickly rallied back to score 24 second-quarter points to trail 35-24 at halftime. Georgia scored four unanswered touchdowns in the second half to extend its lead to 63-24, a deficit Kentucky could not overcome.

Boom Williams breaks free for a 56-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.
Boom Williams breaks free for a 56-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

Kentucky returns to action Saturday, Nov. 15 at Tennessee. Scheduled for a 4 p.m. ET kickoff, the game will air on the SEC Network.

UK scored 24 points in the second quarter, which began with a three-yard touchdown run by Braylon Heard with 13:33 left in the half. Heard's rush capped a 16-play, 74-yard drive that took 6:15.

On the ensuing kickoff, Georgia's Quayvon Hicks couldn't gain control of the ball, and UK's J.D. Harmon recovered to give the Wildcats possession on UGA's 23-yardline. Eight plays later, Austin MacGinnis' 38-yard field goal cut Georgia's lead to 11 at 21-10.

The Bulldogs scored a touchdown on their next drive, but the Wildcats answered right back. On the third play of the drive, Stanley `Boom' Williams found a hole and ran for a 56-yard touchdown with 5:55 left in the half.

Georgia again answered on its next drive to give the visitors a 25-17 lead, but Kentucky got the ball back with 4:04 left. That was plenty of time for the Wildcat offense to orchestrate a 13-play, 75-yard drive. Capped by a 1-yard run by quarterback Patrick Towles, the Wildcats entered the locker room having cut the deficit to 11 at 25-24.

In the third quarter, Towles threw an interception on UK's opening drive to set up the first of Georgia's four unanswered touchdowns.

Trailing 63-24, Kentucky's final touchdown came with 3:22 left in the game on a nine-yard pass from Towles to Javess Blue.

Towles and the Wildcats were 16-31 passing for 139 yards and one touchdown. Demarco Robinson caught five passes for a team-high 43 yards. Blue caught three catches for 39 yards, including a touchdown reception.

On the ground, UK rushed for 214 yards, led by Williams with 100. Towles ran 17 times for 60 yards, while Heard had 13 rushes for 36 yards.