Kentucky-Eastern Kentucky Postgame Notes
Nov. 7, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 5-4 overall. Eastern Kentucky is 5-4 for the season.
- Kentucky leads the series, 3-0.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats play at Vanderbilt on Sat. Nov. 14 at 12:21 p.m. EST (11:21 a.m. CST in Nashville). The game will be televised on the SEC Network.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky set a school record by winning its 18 th consecutive non-conference game. The previous record was 17 straight non-conference wins from 1954-60.
- The Wildcats totaled over 400 yards total offense for the second time this season with 444 yards. UK totaled 488 yards vs. Miami to open the year.
- UK's 234 rushing yards marked the fourth time the Wildcats have gained more than 200 yards on the ground this season.
- With 210 yards through the air, UK passed for more than 200 yards for the second time this season.
- UK registered multiple interceptions for the third consecutive game.
- Kentucky went 2-of-3 on fourth down conversions in the game and have converted 14 of 19 (73.7 percent) to lead the SEC.
- UK has converted 27 of 34 opportunities (79.4 percent) in the red zone this year.
- 1st Quarter Summary
- Kentucky turns the ball over on downs at the EKU 10. (9:42)
- UK's DeQuin Evans sacked T.J. Pryor for a loss of five yards at the EKU 4.
- It was Evans' fourth sack of the season.
- UK's Moncell Allen rushed for 1-yard touchdown. (4:31); UK 7, EKU 0
- It was Allen's second rushing TD of the season and third of his career.
- 2nd Quarter Summary
- UK's John Conner converted a 4 th and 1 at the EKU 49. (8:53)
- UK's Lones Seiber made a 22-yard field goal. (6:06) UK 10, EKU 0
- EKU's T.J. Pryor completes a 42-yard pass to Orlandus Harris at the UK 10
- EKU's Marcus Williams rushes for a 9-yard TD on a fake FG (2:44); PAT attempt failed. UK 10, EKU 6
- UK's Alfonzo Smith rushed for 15 yards to the EKU 1 (1:25)
- UK's Alfonzo Smith rushed for a 1-yard touchdown (0:41); UK 17, EKU 6
- It was Smith's second rushing TD of the season and eighth of his career.
- EKU's T.J. Pryor rushes for 26 yards to the EKU 44.
- UK's Cartier Rice intercepted EKU's T.J. Pryor in the end zone on the final play of the half.
- 3rd Quarter Summary
- UK's Lones Seiber missed a 32-yard field goal. (7:09)
- UK's Morgan Newton completes a 14-yard TD pass to Maurice Grinter. (2:28);
- It was Newton's first career TD pass. It was Grinter's first catch of the season and fourth TD reception of his career. UK 24, EKU 6
- UK's Sam Maxwell intercepted EKU's T.J. Pryor at the EKU 24 and returned it six yards.
- On the first play after Maxwell's interception, UK's Morgan Newton completes an 18-yd TD pass to Chris Matthews. It was the second receiving touchdown for Matthews this season. (1:24); PAT attempt failed. UK 30, EKU 6
- 4th Quarter Summary
- UK's Donald Russell rushed for a 79-yard touchdown (7:05); UK 37, EKU 6
- The score marked Russell's first career rushing touchdown.
- EKU's H.B Banjoman rushed for a 2-yard touchdown. (1:23); PAT blocked. UK 37, EKU 12
- UK's Matt Roark blocked the PAT attempt. It was the fifth blocked kick of his career, second of the season and his fourth blocked PAT.
UK Individual Notes
- John Conner tied the Kentucky career record for games played with 50. Tim Masthay also played in 50 games from 2005-08.
- Moncell Allen had a career-high 14 carries for 62 yards, including a touchdown.
- La'Rod King totaled career highs in both catches (4) and receiving yards (41).
- Gene McCaskill hauled in a career-high four receptions for 33 yards.
- Eric Adeyemi caught a career-high three receptions, matching his career-high total of 31 yards.
- Chris Matthews hauled in a career-high seven receptions for 56 yards, including a touchdown.
- Alfonso Smith gained 60 yards on 12 carries and scored a touchdown.
- Smith now claims 939 career rushing yards and needs 61 yards to attain 1,000 in his career.
- Trevard Lindley posted one pass breakup to move into a tie for seventh place with Florida's Larry Kennedy (1991-94) on the SEC career list with 39 career PBUs.
- Morgan Newton set new career highs with 20 completions on 29 attempts for 187 yards and two passing touchdowns.
- Donald Russell gained a career-high 92 yards, including a 79-yard scoring dash.
- Taiedo Smith led the defense with a career-high six tackles.
- DeQuin Evans recorded three tackles-for-loss in a game for the second time this season.
- Sam Maxwell recorded his fourth interception of the season and fifth career interception.
- Cartier Rice recorded his first career interception at the end of the first half.
- Freshman kickoff man Craig McIntosh had a career-high three touchbacks today.
- Randall Cobb did not play due to a sprained left thumb. He was cleared to play by the medical staff but the coaches decided to hold him out.