Ketucky-Mississippi State Postgame Notes
Oct. 31, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 4-4 overall, 1-4 in the Southeastern Conference. Mississippi State is 4-5 overall, 2-3 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series, 21-16. MSU has won one in a row.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats play host to Eastern Kentucky on Sat. Nov. 7 at 1 p.m. The game will be a live telecast on WKYT (Lexington) and WYMT (Hazard) and also a delay telecast on the Big Blue Sports Network.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky gained 189 yards on the ground to maintain their highest average rushing yards per game (186.7) since 1995.
- UK is 46-18 in Homecoming games since 1946.
- UK's defense forced an interception for the fourth straight game and picked off multiple passes for the second consecutive contest.
- UK converted 2-of-3 fourth down attempts in the game; the Wildcats have 12-of 16 (75 percent) this season.
- Kentucky has converted 22 of 27 opportunities in the red zone (81.5 percent) for 142 points (19 touchdowns, three field goals, two loss on downs and one end of half).
- 1st Quarter Summary
- MSU's Sean Brauchle kicked a 33-yard field goal (4:23); MSU 3, UK 0
- UK's Derrick Locke rushed for a 10-yard touchdown (1:28); UK 7, MSU 3
- It was Locke's fourth rushing TD of the season and 10 th of his career.
- 2nd Quarter Summary
- UK's Sam Maxwell intercepted MSU's Tyson Lee in the end zone for a touchback.
- It was Maxwell's third interception of the season and fourth of his career.
- UK's Randall Burden intercepted MSU's Tyson Lee and returned it to the MSU 41.
- It was Burden's second interception of the season with picks in back-to-back games.
- UK's Morgan Newton rushed for an 11-yard touchdown (5:16); UK 14, MSU 3
- It was Newton's second career rushing touchdown.
- MSU's Chris Relf rushed for 52 yards to the UK 3-yard line.
- MSU's Anthony Dixon rushed for a 1-yard touchdown (3:43); UK 14, MSU 10
- UK's Randall Cobb returned a punt 46 yards to the MSU 26.
- UK's Lones Seiber kicked at 38-yard field goal (0:00); UK 17, MSU 10
- 3rd Quarter Summary
- UK's Alfonso Smith fumbles at the UK 47 forced by MSU's Charles Mitchell
- MSU's Christian Ducre' rushed for a 2-yard touchdown (11:48); UK 17, MSU 17
- UK's Randall Cobb rushed for a 3-yard touchdown (7:49); UK 24, MSU 17
- It was Cobb's fifth rushing touchdown this season and the 12 th of his career.
- UK's Tyson Lee completed a 67-yard TD pass to O'Neal Wilder (6:56); UK 24, MSU 24
- MSU's Anthony Dixon rushed for 47 yards to the UK 40.
- MSU's Anthony Dixon rushed for a 3-yard touchdown (0:59); MSU 31, UK 24
- UK's Randall Cobb returned the kickoff 47 yards to the MSU 42.
- 4th Quarter Summary
- UK's Derrick Locke rushed for 21 yards to the MSU 14.
- UK's Moncell Allen converted a 4 th and 1 at the MSU 4.
- MSU's Jamar Chaney intercepted UK's Morgan Newton at the MSU 9. (10:48)
- UK's Morgan Newton throws 17-yard pass to Chris Matthews to the MSU 31 to keep final drive alive.
- MSU's Jamar Chaney and Devin Jones sack UK's Newton for 2-yard loss on 4 th -and-5 at Bulldog 18 with under two minutes remaining to stop the last Wildcat threat.
UK Individual Notes
- Derrick Locke notched his second career 100-yard rushing game with 103 markers on 17 carries.
- Locke now has 1,421 career yards to rank 18 th on the UK all-time rushing list; he needs 28 yards to overtake Bobby Cravens (1956-58, 1,448) for 17 th all-time.
- Randall Cobb's 3-yard touchdown run accounted for the 10 th of UK's 27 touchdowns this season; he has scored at least one touchdown in 11 of 18 career games.
- Cobb led the team in all-purpose with 237 yards including 17 rushing, 32 receiving, 142 on kick returns and 46 on punt returns.
- Morgan Newton's 11-yard touchdown run in the second quarter was the second of his career.
- Newton connected on11-of-18 pass attempts for a career-high 119 yards and threw one interception.
- Newton's 11 completions and 18 attempts were also career highs.
- La'Rod King caught made career highs with two receptions for 31 yards including a career-long 18-yard grab.
- Micah Johnson recorded his eighth career double-digit tackling effort, leading the team with 11 stops.
- Taylor Wyndham made a career-high six tackles including career-high 2.5 tackles-for-loss.
- DeQuin Evans forced his first career fumble in the game.
- Paul Warford made a season-high seven tackles against MSU.
- Randall Burden snared his second interception in two games with a return of eight yards, marking the second pick of his career.
- Sam Maxwell made his fourth career interception and third of the season in the game.