Kentucky-Auburn Postgame Notes
Oct. 17, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 3-3 on the season, 1-3 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn is 5-2 overall, 2-2 in the league.
- Auburn leads the series, 24-6-1.
- This is UK's first win over Auburn in 43 years. UK's last victory was in Lexington (17-7) in 1966.
- This is only the second time in school history that Kentucky has won at Auburn. The other time it happened was 1961.
- Next for Kentucky: the Wildcats play host to Louisiana-Monroe on Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. The game will be televised by selected regional channels on the Fox Sports Network.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky limited Auburn to 14 points and 315 total offensive yards. The Tigers entered the game averaging 38.3 points and 489.8 yards total offense per game.
- UK totaled a season-high 282 rushing yards. It marked the most rushing yards since 297 yards vs. Norfolk State in 2008 and the most against an SEC opponent since 301 yard vs. Mississippi State in 1995.
- Kentucky had two 100-yard rushers in the game (Derrick Locke with 126 and Randall Cobb with 109) for the first time since Shane Boyd (130) and Tony Dixon (105) rushed for over 100 yards vs. Indiana on Sept. 18, 2004.
- It marks the first time since 2006 that Auburn has allowed two 100-yard rushers in a game. The last time was against Arkansas when Darren McFadden and Felix Jones rushed 145 and 104 yards, respectively.
- Kentucky is 14-8 in the last 22 games decided by 10 or fewer points.
- Kentucky has won 23 games since mid-season 2006, with 11 of those wins coming as fourth-quarter comebacks.
UK Individual Notes
- Randall Cobb finished with 12 carries for a career-high 109 yards. It marks the first 100-yard rushing game of his career.
- Cobb rushed four yards for UK's go-ahead score with 3:17 remaining in the game. He set up the touchdown with a career-long 61-yard run on the previous play.
- Derrick Locke rushed 19 times for a career-high 126 yards. It marks the first 100-yard game of his career.
- Locke and Cobb are the first Wildcats to rush for 100 yards in a game since Rafael Little ran for 152 vs. Florida State in the 2007 Music City Bowl.
- Locke moved past three former players for 22nd place on the UK career rushing list. Locke now has 1,283 rushing yards as a Wildcat. He needs 14 more yards to move ahead of Don Phelps (1946-49) at No. 21.
- Making his first collegiate start, freshman quarterback Morgan Newton completed 5-of-13 passes for 39 yards.
- Newton also rushed for his first collegiate touchdown in the second quarter, a four-yard run. He finished with eight carries for 15 yards.
- Quarterback Will Fidler finished completed 4-of-9 passes for 36 yards. He also ran two yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. It is his first collegiate touchdown.
- Strong safety Calvin Harrison's interception in the first quarter is his second pickoff of the season.
- Linebacker Danny Trevathan had a career-high 14 tackles. His previous high was 10 vs. Alabama earlier this season.
- Linebacker Sam Maxwell charted a career-high 10 tackles. His previous high was seven on two occasions.
- Cornerback Paul Warford matched his career-high three pass breakups. He also had three vs. Kent State in 2007.
- First career starts for redshirt freshman DE Taylor Wyndham and freshman QB Morgan Newton.