Kentucky-South Carolina Postgame Notes
Oct. 10, 2009
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 2-3 on the season, 0-3 in the Southeastern Conference. South Carolina is 5-1 overall, 2-1 in the league.
- South Carolina leads the series, 14-6-1. South Carolina has won 10 in a row.
- Kentucky travels to Auburn, Ala., to take on the Auburn Tigers. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET and the game will be televised by ESPNU.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky was 2-for-3 on fourth down conversions today to improve to 6-of-9 on the season.
- UK totaled 360 yards of total offense, the fourth time in the Wildcats have gained over 300 yards on offense through five games this season.
- The 360 yards were a season high allowed by South Carolina this season.
- Kentucky was 5-of-6 on scoring opportunities from the red zone going to increase the season conversion total to 14 of 17 on the season (82 percent) for 85 points (11 touchdowns, three field goals, two loss on downs and one end of half).
- Kentucky's 19 third-down conversion attempts were a season high.
1st Quarter Summary
- UK's Lones Seiber made a 36-yard field goal; UK 3, USC 0 (4:43)
- USC's Chris Culliver returned the kickoff 61 yards to the UK 34-yard line (4:32)
- USC's Stephen Garcia passed to Alshon Jeffery for a 10-yard TD; USC 7, UK 3 (3:55)
2nd Quarter Summary
- UK's Mike Hartline passed to Gene McCaskill for 31 yards to the USC 11-yard line
- UK's Derrick Locke rushed for an 11-yard TD; UK 10, USC 7 (14:34)
- Locke's third rushing TD of the season and of his career.
- USC's Chris Culliver returned the kickoff 49 yards to the UK 39-yard line (14:16)
- USC's Stephen Garcia passed to Alshon Jeffery for a 28-yard TD; USC 14, UK 10 (13:06)
- UK's Mike Hartline passed to Randall Cobb for 55 yards to the USC 13-yard line
- The connection was the longest pass and catch for both Hartline and Cobb.
- UK's Mike Hartline passed to Randall Cobb for 7-yard TD; UK 17, USC 14 (9:06)
- USC's Stephen Garcia passed to Alshon Jeffery for 30 yards.
- USC's Stephen Garcia was intercepted by UK's Sam Maxwell and returned to the UK 34
- The pick was Maxwell's second interception of the season and third of his career.
- UK's Corey Peters sacked USC's Stephen Garcia for a 6-yard loss at the UK 46
3rd Quarter Summary
- UK's Mike Hartline was injured on a QB hurry by USC's Darian Stewart
- UK's Will Fidler in at QB for Kentucky.
- UK's Ryan Tydlacka punted 59 yards for a touchback. It was his career long.
- USC's Stephen Garcia passed to Alshon Jeffery for a 22-yard TD; USC 21, UK 17 (6:29)
- UK's Randall Cobb stopped on 4th and 6 on a fake field goal attempt. (3:56)
- UK's Calvin Harrison recovered USC's Stephen Garcia fumble at the USC 23
- UK's Taylor Wyndham forced the fumble. Kentucky takes over at the USC 15.
- UK's Lones Seiber made a 35-yard field goal; USC 21, UK 20 (1:24)
- UK's Corey Peters sacked USC's Stephen Garcia for a 14-yard loss at the USC 5
- Peters' 2.5 sacks on the day are a career-high
4th Quarter Summary
- UK's Will Fidler rushed for 2 yards on 4th and 1 at the USC 48
- UK's Ryan Tydlacka punted five yards to the USC 38.
- USC's Stephen Garcia rushed for a 1-yard TD; USC 28, UK 20 (8:22)
- UK's Randall Cobb rushed for a 2-yard TD, 2-pt conversion failed; USC 28, UK 26 (4:34)
- USC's Kenny Miles rushed for 14 yards on 3rd and 6 from the USC 35 for a first down
UK Individual Notes
- Randall Cobb rushed for a career-high 89 yards with one TD on 13 carries.
- Randall Cobb gained 229 all-purpose yards with 62 yards receiving including a touchdown, a career-high 89 yards rushing (2-yd TD), 59 yards on kickoff returns and 19 yards on punt returns.
- Cobb's 55-yard grab in the second quarter marked a career-long reception.
- The 55-yard strike was also a career-long pass for Mike Hartline.
- Derrick Locke gained 89 yards with one TD on 13 carries. Locke now has 1.157 career rushing yards and ranks 25th on the UK all-time rushing list.
- Locke needs 11 yards to move into 24th all-time (Doug Kofar, 1,167 yards, 1971-73).
- Locke, the SEC's leader in all-purpose yards, gained 155 all-purpose yards, with a season-high 89 yards rushing including a touchdown, 20 yards receiving and 46 yards on kickoff returns.
- Corey Peters totaled career-highs with seven tackles and 2.5 sacks for the game.
- Linebacker Sam Maxwell was the co-leader with seven tackles including an interception.
- Maxwell broke up a pass for the fifth consecutive game this season.
- Lones Seiber has now made five consecutive field goals and is 5-of-6 on the season.
- Lones Seiber, the UK career scoring record holder, has 262 career points after kicking a pair of field goals and adding two PATs.
- Sophomore Gene McCaskill tied a career-high with three catches for a season-high 51 yards.
- Mike Hartline was 9-of-14 for 139 yards and a TD before injuring his knee early in the 3rd quarter
- Freshman cornerback Martavius Neloms earned the first start of his career.