Kentucky-Alabama Postgame Notes
Oct. 3, 2009
Team R ecords and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 2-2 on the season, 0-2 in the Southeastern Conference. Alabama is 5-0 overall, 2-0 in the league.
- Alabama leads the series, 35-2-1. Alabama has won four in a row.
- Kentucky travels to Columbia, S.C., to take on the South Carolina Gamecocks. Kickoff is set for 12:30 and the game will be televised by Fox Sports South.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky was 2-for-2 on fourth down conversions today to improve to 4-of-6 on the season.
- UK totaled 301 yards total offense, the third time in the Wildcats have gained over 300 yards on offense through four games this season.
- UK is the first team to reach 300 yards total offense against Alabama this season.
- Kentucky was perfect on scoring opportunities from the red zone going 1-for-1 to increase the season conversion total to 9 of 11 on the season (82 percent) for 59 points (eight touchdowns, one field goal, one loss on downs and one end of half).
- 1st Quarter Summary
- UA's Mark Ingram rushed for an 11-yard TD (14:03); UA 7, UK 0
- UA's Mark Barron got an interception at the UK 43 (12:07)
- UK's Lones Seiber made a 49-yard field goal (6:32); UA 7, UK 3
- Seiber's 49-yarder was a career long. His previous best was 48 yards.
- UK converted on 4 th and 1 with a 3-yard run at the UA 30.
- UK's Lones Seiber made another 49-yard field goal (0:00), tying his career long established earlier in the first quarter; UA 7, UK 6
- 2nd Quarter Summary
- UA's Greg McElroy passed to UA's Colin Peek for a 3-yard TD (0:40); UA 14, UK 6
- UA's Courtney Upshaw returned a UK fumble for a 45-yard TD (0:21); UA 21, UK 6
- 3rd Quarter Summary
- UA's Rolando McClain got an interception at the UA 41 (14:28)
- UA's Mark Ingram rushed for a 32-yard TD (13:43); UA 28, UK 6
- UA's Eryk Anders got an interception at the UA 47 (12:35)
- UA's Leigh Tiffin made a 36-yard field goal (10:18); UA 31, UK 6
- UK's Mike Hartline passed to UK's Randall Cobb for a 45-yard TD (9:36); UA 31, UK 13
- The 45-yarder was a career-long reception for Cobb.
- UA's Greg McElroy passed to UA's Darius Hanks for a 7-yard TD (3:45); UA 38, UK 13
- 4th Quarter Summary
- UK's Alfonso Smith rushed for a 2-yard TD (12:52); UA 38, UK 20
- It was Smith's first rushing TD of the season and seventh of his career.
UK Individual Notes
- Derrick Locke became the 31 st player in Kentucky history to reach 1,000 rushing yards in his career after gaining 75 yards on 20 carries. Locke now has 1.068 career rushing yards and ranks 27 th on the UK all-time rushing list.
- Locke needs 53 yards to move into 26 th all-time (Shawn Donigan 1,120 yards 1978-82).
- Locke, the SEC's leader in all-purpose yards, gained 204 all-purpose yards, with a season-high75 yards rushing, a season-high 63 yards receiving and 66 yards on kickoff returns.
- Alfonso Smith rushed for 28 yards on five carries and scored a touchdown. He now has 833 career rushing yards and needs 167 more to reach the 1,000-yard mark.
- Lones Seiber has 254 career points, breaking the UK career scoring record (Joey Worley, 246) after kicking a pair of career-long 49-yard field goals and adding two PATs.
- Randall Cobb gained 186 all-purpose yards with 57 yards receiving including a touchdown, season-high 21 yards rushing, 50 yards on kickoff returns and 58 yards on punt returns.
- Cobb's 45-yard touchdown grab marked a career-long reception.
- The 45-yard touchdown strike was also a season-long pass for Mike Hartline.
- Kyrus Lanxter achieved season highs with three receptions and 26 yards.
- Redshirt freshman kicker Craig McIntosh made his Wildcat debut with four kickoffs averaging 63.2 yards per kick.
- Linebackers Danny Trevathan and Micah Johnson led the team with 10 tackles apiece.
- Johnson now has 215 career tackles with his second double-digit tackle game of the year.
- Trevathan's 10 stops was a career high.
- Defensive end DeQuin Evans recorded his third career sack taking down Alabama's McElroy for a 2-yard loss.
- Corey Peters picked up his third pass breakup to amass a career season-high total only four games into the season.
- Linebacker Sam Maxwell broke up a pass for the fourth consecutive game this season.
- Defensive end Chandler Burden finished the game with a career-high five tackles.
- Defensive back Martavius Neloms tackled a career-high four ball carriers.