Kentucky-Louisville Postgame Notes
Sept. 17, 2011
Team Records and Series Notes
- This is the 24th meeting between UK and U of L. The teams have met annually since the renewal of the series in 1994. UK leads the overall series 14-10, including an 8-7 mark when the game is played in Lexington.
- The loss snaps Kentucky’s school-record 21-consecutive regular-season non-conference games, dating back to 2006.
- The loss for Kentucky also snaps its 18 consecutive non-conference home winning streak, dating back to 2005.
- Five of the last seven meetings have been decided by seven points or less.
- This year’s game was the 15th time in 18 years that the contest has been on live national or regional television.
- Kentucky will host Florida on Saturday, Sept. 24th at 7:00 p.m. ET on ESPN or ESPN2
UK Team Notes
- Louisville won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half.
- Louisville outrushed Kentucky, 181-to-35 yards. The team that has rushed for the most yards has won the Governor’s Cup 16 straight times.
- Kentucky threw for a season-high 255 yards, while completing a season-high 27 passes.
- The Wildcats scored on its opening possession for the second-consecutive game, both scores were field goals by Craig McIntosh.
- UK had a season-high 21 first downs in the game. The Wildcats had three more first downs than U of L, which is the first time this season that UK has earned more first downs than its opponent.
- Kentucky’s defense had four sacks in the game, which is a season high.
- This is the first time in the last five years the Wildcats have lost to in-state rival Louisville. Louisville’s last win over Kentucky was a 59-28 win in 2006.
1st Quarter Summary
- UK-M.Newton completes a 38-yard pass to J.Clemons to the UL5
- UK-C.McIntosh made a 20-yard field goal. UK 3, UL 0 (11:51)
- UK-M.Newton completes a 18-yard pass to L.King who fumbles, recovered at the UL23
- UK-W.Guy sacks UL-W.Stein for a loss of 2 at the UL27.
- UL-D.Brown rushes for 23 yards to the UK38.
- UL-W.Stein completes a 38-yard TD pass to A.Smith. UL 7, UK 3 (2:53)
2nd Quarter Summary
- UK-M.Newton completes a 14-yard pass to E.J. Fields to the UK39
- UL- R.Philon/W.Savoy sacks UK-M.Newton for a loss of 7 at the UK44.
- UL-S.Perry blocks a punt by UK-R.Tydlacka, downed at the UL45.
- UL-T.Bridgewater in at QB. (13:29)
- UL-T.Bridgewater completes a 25-yard TD pass to D.Parker. UL 14, UK 3 (1:16)
- UK-M.Newton completes a 17-yard pass to L.King at the UL15.
- UK-M.Newton completes a 15-yard TD pass to L.King. UL 14, UK 10 (0:10)
- It was UK- L.King’s 3rd TD catch this season and 9th of his career.
3rd Quarter Summary
- UL-J.Wright rushes for 17 yards to the UL40.
- UL-T.Bridgewater completes a 15-yard pass to J.Bellamy to the UK36.
- UL- J.Wright rushes for 14 yards to the UK9.
- UL-C.Philpott made a 20-yard field goal. UL 17, UK 10 (9:01)
- UL-G.Scruggs sacked UK-M.Newton for a loss of 14.
- UK-R.Burden sacked UL-T.Bridgewater for a loss of 12.
- UL-D.Brown rushes for 14 yards to the UK36.
- UK-D.Trevathan sacked UL-T.Bridgewater for a loss of 6.
- UL- G.Scruggs sacked UK-M.Newton for a loss of 9.
4th Quarter Summary
- UL-T.Bridgewater completes a 15-yard TD pass to J.Bellamy, UL 24, UK 10 (11:15)
- UL- W.Savoy sacks UK-M.Newton for a loss of 4 at the UK30.
- UL- R.Philon sacks UK-M.Newton for a loss of 11 at the UK49.
- UK-M.Newton completes a 22-yard pass to N.Melillo at the UL29.
- UK-M.Newton completes a 2-yard TD pass to E.J.Fields. UL 24, UK 17 (4:56)
- UK- M. Newton passes incomplete to L.King on fourth down.
UK Individual Notes
- UK quarterback Morgan Newton had a career-high 27 pass completions for a career-high 255 yards and two touchdowns.
- Freshman Josh Clemons, who earned his first career start in the game, caught his first career pass in the game. He ended with two catches for four yards.
- UK tight end Nick Melillo made a career-high three catches in the game for a career-high 40 yards receiving.
- True freshman Demarco Robinson caught his first career pass in the game, finishing with three catches for one yard.
- E.J. Fields also hauled in the first reception of his career in the game. The native of Frankfort, Ky., made seven catches for 57 yards, including a touchdown pass in the game.
- La’Rod King earned a career-high seven pass receptions, while leading UK with 84 receiving yards.
- La’Rod King caught a touchdown pass for the third straight game.
- Linebacker Danny Trevathan, the SEC’s leading tackler, totaled 12 tackles and has posted double-digit tackles in 12 consecutive games, dating back to last season.
- Cornerback Randall Burden had his first career sack in the game.
- UK punter Ryan Tydlacka punted six times for an average of 40.2 per punt. Sophomore Joe Mansour handled the kickoff duties, launching four kickoffs and one touchback. Craig McIntosh made his only field goal for UK, making a 20-yarder.