Football at Florida -- Postgame Notes
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Kentucky at Florida
Ben Hill Griffin Stadium -- Gainesville, Fla.
Sept. 13, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Florida 36, Kentucky 30 (3OT)
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 2-1, 0-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Florida is 2-0, 1-0 in SEC play.
- Florida leads the all-time series, 48-17, including a 27-4 record in games played in Gainesville.
- Florida has won 28 consecutive meetings in the series, the longest streak in the nation.
- UK held Florida under 20 points in the first half in Gainesville for just the fifth time in school history (1987, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2014).
- The last time UK and Florida were tied or the Wildcats held a halftime lead was in 2003.
- UK has held Florida under 20 points in the first half in Gainesville five times since 1987 (1987, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2014).
- With the game scoreless after the first quarter, it marked the third time since 1987 in series history the game was tied at the end of the first quarter (1998, 2004, 2014).
- The Wildcats played their first overtime game vs. Florida in series history.
- UK scored 30 points vs. the Gators, its highest scoring output vs. UF since scoring 37 vs. UF in 2007.
- UK held Florida to 20 points at the end of regulation, its best defensive output vs. UF since holding the Gators to 20 points in 2004.
- Along with the 2004 game, it marked the fewest points allowed to UF by the Wildcats since 1986.
- UK is 2-3-1 all-time when playing on Sept. 13.
- UK is 21-58-2 all-time in SEC openers.
- UK has a 28-52-1 all-time record against teams from the state of Florida.
- Kentucky played its eighth all-time overtime game and its first since 2012 vs. Western Kentucky.
- UK is now 2-6 in overtime action and 0-2 in overtime games on the road.
- UK’s three overtime tilt was its longest game since playing four overtimes vs. Tennessee in 2007.
- Kentucky returns to action on Sept. 27, playing host to Vanderbilt at Commonwealth Stadium.
- Kentucky finished with 369 total yards passing, marking the most yards passing allowed by Florida since Michigan passed for 373 yards in a 2007 season bowl game.
- Florida has allowed just two 300+ yard passing outings since the 2008 season, allowing Georgia to throw for 313 yards in 2010.
- Florida's interception in the third quarter was UK's first turnover of the season after 10 straight quarters without a giveaway.
- Kentucky went the first 181 plays of the 2014 season before turning the ball over, with an interception in the third quarter snapping UK’s streak.
- UK has outscored its opponents 55-3 in the first half in 2014.
- Kentucky has not allowed a first-half touchdown through the first three games.
- This marks first time since 1988 that UK has held three consecutive opponents without a touchdown in the first half.
- For the third consecutive game to open 2014, UK forced its opponent into a punt on its opening possession.
- UK’s streak of pitching a shutout in the first half was snapped after a second-quarter Florida field goal.
- UK went the first 82:47 of first-half play through three games without allowing its opponent to score.
- Kentucky had 11 explosive plays in the game and now have 38 explosive plays on the year.
- With Zach West not playing because of injury and Darrian Miller leaving the game in the second quarter, UK played with three redshirt freshmen in the offensive line -- Nick Haynes at left tackle, Cole Mosier at left guard and Ramsey Meyers at right guard.
- Sophomore QB Patrick Towles started his third career game and his first career SEC contest.
- Towles finished completing 24-of-45 passes for 369 yards, three TDs and three interceptions.
- Set new career highs in passing attempts.
- Marked his second career 300+ yard passing game.
- Is the third UK quarterback to pass for 300 yards against Florida in Gainesville.
- Had a career-best streak of 80 consecutive pass attempts without an interception snapped in the third quarter.
- Towles is the first UK quarterback to pass for 300+ yards in an SEC game since Mike Hartline in 2010 vs. Georgia and the first to throw for 300+ yards in an SEC road game since Hartline at Ole Miss in 2010.
- Towles is the first UK quarterback with three or more TD passes since Maxwell Smith in 2013 vs. Miami (Ohio).
- Towles had a 24-yard rush in the first half, his eighth explosive rush of the year.
- Freshman kicker Austin MacGinnis made field goals from 35, 51 and 26 to open the game, before missing a 41-yard field goal in the third overtime.
- MacGinnis is now 7-for-10 on the year in field goal attempts.
- MacGinnis is 2-for-3 from 30-39 yards, 2-for-2 from 50+ yards and 2-for-3 from 20-29 yards in 2014.
- The first three field goals of the night from MacGinnis came to tie the game, including his second from 51 yards with 3:52 left in the game, forcing overtime.
- MacGinnis drilled a 26-yard field goal with the game on the line in the second overtime to tie the game and force a third overtime period.
- Freshman WR Garrett Johnson notched his first career touchdown catch in the third quarter.
- Johnson finished with six catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns, with a career-long of 60.
- Johnson’s 154 receiving yards are the most since Randall Cobb had 171 yards vs. Mississippi State in 2010.
- Johnson is the first 100+ yard receiver for UK since senior WR Javess Blue vs. Miami (Ohio) in 2013.
- Johnson is the first UK freshman with two TD catches in a game since Cobb vs. Arkansas in 2008.
- Johnson had four of UK’s 11 explosive plays in the game.
- Senior DE Alvin “Bud” Dupree made his club-high 29th career start.
- Dupree totaled five tackles and two quarterback hurries and now has six QB hurries in his career.
- Senior DE Za’Darius Smith and junior OL Jordan Swindle made their team-leading 15th consecutive starts.
- Smith finished with a career-high 11 tackles, one pass break-up and half a tackle for loss.
- Smith now has seven career tackles for a loss and two career pass break-ups.
- Sophomore DE Jason Hatcher made his first career start, notching a pivotal fourth-quarter sack.
- Hatcher finished with four tackles, one sack and two tackles for loss.
- Hatcher now has two consecutive games with a sack, 3.5 sacks in his career and 7.5 tackles for loss in his career.
- Senior CB Nate Willis recorded his first career interception.
- Willis returned it 27 yards for UK’s second explosive defensive play of the year.
- Junior punter Landon Foster punted it six times for 39.8 yards, with five of his six punts coming inside the 20-yard line.
- Foster now has 36 punts downed inside the 20-yard line in his three-year career.
- Junior CB Fred Tiller charted a career-high and game-best 11 tackles.
- Tiller notched his fourth pass break-up of the year and the 11th of his career.
- Senior FB D.J. Warren played in his team-best 39th career game.
- Freshman WR Dorian Baker finished with four catches for 37 yards in his SEC debut.
- Freshman WR Blake Bone hauled in two passes for 35 yards.
- Freshman RB Stanley “Boom” Williams charted the first two catches of his career, including a 25-yard catch and run for a TD to open overtime.
- Junior LB Josh Forrest totaled a career-high 10 tackles, including his fourth career tackle for loss.
- Junior DT Melvin Lewis finished with three tackles and was credited with his first career sack.
- Sophomore WR Ryan Timmons totaled four catches for 42 yards.
- Junior RB Braylon Heard carried it a career-high 12 times and caught his first career pass.
- Senior WR Demarco Robinson had five catches for 63 yards.
- Robinson returned two punts for 19 yards.
- Sophomore NB Blake McClain finished with five tackles and his first three career quarterback hurries.
- Junior CB Cody Quinn broke up his first pass of the year and the ninth of his career.
- Sophomore CB J.D. Harmon notched two quarterback hurries and now has three in 2014.