Football vs. UT Martin -- Post-Game Notes
Aug. 30, 2014
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
UT Martin at Kentucky
Commonwealth Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
Aug. 30, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 59, UT Martin 14
Team Records and Series Notes
- With the win, Kentucky is 1-0 and with the loss, UT Martin drops to 0-1.
- UK won the first all-time meeting between the two schools.
- UK has now won nine consecutive home lidlifters, dating back to 2006.
- UK is now 84-35-5 all-time in season openers and is 71-15-4 all-time in season openers at home.
- Kentucky will return to action on Saturday, hosting Ohio at 3:30 p.m. at Commonwealth Stadium. The game will be televised on ESPNU and will be broadcast live on the UK Radio Network, with Tom Leach, Jeff Piecoro and Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- UK’s 59-14 win marked its most points scored since hanging 63 on Western Kentucky in 2010.
- UK’s 45-point margin of victory was its most since a 77-17 win over UTEP in 2002.
- Kentucky finished with six rushing touchdowns, its most in a game since vs. Kent State in 2007.
- Kentucky finished with 656 yards of total offense, which was the fourth greatest single-game total in school-history. UK finished with 675 yards of total offense vs. Miami (Ohio) last season for the third-highest total in school history
- UK forced five turnovers; it’s most since 2008 vs. Louisville. UK has forced four turnovers on four occasions since 2008.
- UK had two interceptions, its most since picking off two passes at Missouri in 2012.
- UK had 201 rushing yards out of players that did not play in 2013, marking 86-percent of its rushing output in the game.
- All 422 yards of UK’s passing game came from quarterbacks that did not see game action last year.
- UK’s 446 yards in the first half was more than 11 of UK’s 12 games last year.
- Six of UK’s eight tackles for loss and all three forced fumbles were caused by players who didn’t see game action in 2013.
- UK finished with 21 points off turnovers.
- The Wildcats finished with 422 yards passing, marking its best passing output since throwing for 430 yards in a 2007 game vs. Tennessee in four overtimes.
- The last time UK threw for over 422 yards in a regulation game was when it threw for 450 yards in a win over Vanderbilt in 2006.
- UK forced and recovered three fumbles, marking its most fumbles recovered since three at Georgia in 2011.
- Sophomore QB Patrick Towles had a sparkling debut in his first career start, going 20-for-29 for 377 yards and one TD.
- Towles also rushed for his first career TD, a career-long 23-yard rush, finishing with three rushes for 30 yards.
- With 407 total yards of offense, Towles had the second-most yards from scrimmage for a UK quarterback making his first career start, just behind the 409 yards Dusty Bonner had in a 1999 game with Louisville.
- Kentucky QBs, since 1996, have a 5-6 record in their first career starts.
- Towles threw for his second career TD, a 29-yard pass to Blake Bone.
- It marked Towles first TD pass since Oct. 6, 2012 vs. Mississippi State.
- Towles is the first UK QB to throw for 300+ yards since Maxwell Smith vs Miami (Ohio) in 2013.
- Junior RB Braylon Heard rushed for a 73-yard touchdown on his first career touch for the Wildcats.
- It marked the longest rush for UK since Jalen Whitlow scampered 88 yards for a touchdown vs. Alabama State in 2013.
- On Heard’s second career rush, he took it 43 yards for a touchdown.
- Heard finished with 116 yards on just two carries.
- Several Wildcats made their first career starts, including TE Steven Borden , QB Patrick Towles , OG Ramsey Meyers and OT Kyle Meadows on offense and LB Josh Forrest , S A.J. Stamps and DT Melvin Lewis on defense.
- Freshman RB Stanley “Boom” Williams opened the game with a kickoff return for 24 yards. Williams rushed it three times for eight yards.
- Freshman WR Garrett Johnson notched his first career catch. He finished with three catches for 25 yards.
- DE Za’Darius Smith, OT Jordan Swindle and S Ashely Lowery made their team-leading 13th consecutive starts.
- Sophomore RB Jojo Kemp totaled his fourth career rushing touchdown. Kemp finished with eight rushes for 31 yards and one TD.
- Junior S A.J. Stamps recorded UK’s first interception of the year with a one-handed snag in the second quarter.
- Stamps finished with a game-tying eight tackles and a tackle for loss.
- Sophomore WR Ryan Timmons totaled three catches for 75 yards.
- Senior WR Javess Blue caught two balls for 42 yards.
- Senior WR Demarco Robinson hauled in a 79-yard catchl-and-run from Towles, a career-long.
- Junior CB Fred Tiller notched his seventh and eighth career pass break ups and charted his first career interception.
- Freshman WR Blake Bone hauled in a 29-yard touchdown on his first collegiate touch.
- Bon finished with two catches for 65 yards.
- Freshman PK Austin MacGinnis was 1-for-2 in his first career field-goal attempts, connecting on a 20-yard field goal.
- MacGinnis had seven touchbacks in his 10 kickoffs.
- Freshman WR Dorian Baker notched his first three career catches, totaling 29 yards.
- Senior DT Mike Douglas notched his fourth career sack. He now has sacks in each season of his UK career.
- Freshman RB Mikel Horton rushed for an 18-yard touchdown on his fourth career carry.
- Horton finished with seven rushes for 46 yards.
- Junior LB Khalid Henderson returned a fumble for 89 yards for a touchdown in the third quarter.
- It marked the first fumble recovery for a touchdown since Demarco Robinson recovered a fumble in the end zone in 2013 vs. Alabama State.
- It marked UK’s first defensive fumble recovery for a touchdown since Tristan Johnson in 2012 a 25-yard return for a TD vs. Samford.
- Henderson and Stamps tied for the team lead with eight tackles.
- Freshman CB Kendall Randolph forced a fumble in his collegiate debut.
- Senior TE Ronnie Shields notched two catches for 18 yards, giving him 14 catches in his career.
- Junior RB Josh Clemons rushed it for the first time since 2011 after missing the last two seasons due to injury.
- Freshman QB Reese Phillips saw his first career action, completing 2-of-4 passes for 45 yards.
- Sophomore J.D. Harmon , a native of Paducah, Kentucky, finished with six tackles, two tackles for a loss, one forced fumble and a quarterback hurry.
- It marked Harmon’s first career forced fumble.
- Harmon returned his first career kick, a 26-yard return in the fourth quarter.
- Freshman DT Regie Meant finished with four tackles, two sacks and one fumbled forced in his collegiate debut.
- Junior LB Ryan Flannigan finished with six tackles in his UK debut.
- Junior DE Jabari Johnson recovered his first career fumble.
- Junior P Landon Foster punted it once for 46 yards.
- Foster has now punted 130 times in his career, with a 42.1 yard average.