Kentucky Faces Buffalo in Sunday Matin&eacute;e
Nov. 15, 2014
Buffalo visits Rupp Arena on Sunday, November 16 to face Kentucky. The game will be televised on ESPNU and tip is set for 12 p.m. ET.
|Kentucky vs. Buffalo
Sunday, Nov. 16 - 12:00 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK | UB
Radio: UK Sports Network
Live Video via WatchESPN
This Week's News
Grand Canyon Game Recap
- Kentucky opened the season with an 85-45 win over Grand Canyon, the second largest margin of victory in a season lid-lifter in the last 20 seasons.
- UK improved to 92-19 in season openers and a perfect 6-0 under the direction of John Calipari.
- The Wildcats’ platoon system continued to shine:
- No player logged more than 24 minutes
- Four players reached double-figure scoring
- UK shot 48.6 percent from the field, including 52.8 percent in the second half
- In the first half vs. the Antelopes, UK blocked seven shots, forced 13 turnovers and surrendered just six field goals
- Grand Canyon’s 16 first-half points were the fewest UK had surrendered in a first half since the Cats yielded just 14 to Samford on Dec. 4, 2012
- The nation’s tallest team owned the glass with a 51-21 edge, including 24 offensive rebounds that led to 29 second-chance points
- Andrew Harrison started the game with seven straight points and finished with a team-high 16
- Trey Lyles scored 14 in his first career game and Dakari Johnson notched his first career double-double with 10 points and a career-high 13 rebounds
Kentucky in Season Openers
- Kentucky has totaled a 92-19 all-time record during season lid-lifters.
- UK is a perfect 6-0 under the direction of John Calipari in such contests.
- The Wildcats last opened at home with an 89-57 victory over UNC Asheville last season.
Five Wildcats on Coaches’ Preseason Teams
- UK led the league with five players selected to the SEC Coaches’ preseason teams.
- Aaron and Andrew Harrison were named to the first team ballot.
- Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress and Karl-Anthony Towns were second-team picks.
- Towns was the only freshman in the league selected to either team.
Duo on Lute Olson Award Watch List
- Junior Willie Cauley-Stein and sophomore Aaron Harrison were named to the Lute Olson Award Watch List on Wednesday.
- The Lute Olson Award is presented annually to the nation’s top Division I player who has played at least two seasons with his respective team.
- Incoming freshmen and transfers are not eligible for the Player of the Year award.
- The 2015 recipient will be announced at the CollegeInsider.com Awards Banquet on April 3 in Indianapolis, site of the 2015 Final Four.