Wildcats Open Season Against VMI
Nov. 12, 2008
Note: Video from today's press conference at 6 PM EST will be streamed for free .
With the exhibition schedule complete, the Wildcats open regular season play on Friday, hosting the Virginia Military Institute Keydets at Rupp Arena.
Kentucky ended its preseason schedule with a 2-0 record, posting wins over Missouri-St. Louis (111- 53) and Ouachita Baptist (94-72). Jodie Meeks led the way offensively, averaging 25.0 points while Perry Stevenson averaged a double-double, with 12.5 points and a team high 12.5 rebounds.
Kentucky shot effectively from the field at a 54 percent clip, including 44 percent from three-point range.
- Kentucky is in its 106th season of basketball.
- Kentucky is the all-time NCAA leader in wins with 1,966.
- The Wildcats were picked to finish third in the SEC East by select media. Kentucky was picked by two voters to win the SEC Championship.
- Once again, every Wildcat basketball game will be televised live, including both of UK’s exhibition games.
- Patrick Patterson was named a CollegeInsider.com preseason All-American. He was a unanimous preseason First Team All-SEC selection by league coaches, while Jodie Meeks was named Second Team preseason All-SEC.
- Billy Gillispie begins his second season as head coach of the Wildcats, after being named SEC co- Coach of the Year last year as voted on by the league coaches.