UK Advances to Third Round of NCAA Tournament
March 16, 2012
Previous: UK 81, WKU 66 | If Advance: Indiana-VCU Winner
Top-seeded Kentucky ran its NCAA Tournament opening round record to 42-10 on Thursday, posting an 81-65 win over Western Kentucky to advance to the third round of the tournament.
|NCAA Tournament - Third Round
Kentucky vs. Iowa State
Sat., Mar. 17 - 7:45 p.m. ET
Game Notes: UK | ISU
UK Postseason Guide
Radio: UK IMG
March Madness on Demand
The Wildcats got a double-double from Terrence Jones, his fourth of the season. He finished with a game-high 22 points and 10 rebounds.
Anthony Davis tallied 16 points and nine rebounds while breaking the UK NCAA Tournament single-game record for blocks with seven.
The Wildcats shot 55.6 pct. from the field while holding the Hilltoppers to 39.7 pct.
Kentucky has won both meetings between the two schools, including their meeting, a 106-98 victory against the Cyclones in the 1992 NCAA Tournament.
UK vs. the Big 12
Kentucky is 56-9 all-time against schools comprising the Big 12 conference. That includes a 75- 65 win over Kansas earlier this season. The Wildcats' most common opponent from the Big 12 has been Kansas (20-6).
NCAA Tournament History
- UK is 42-10 in tournament openers and has won 20 of its last 21 second round (previously first-round) tournament games. The Cats won this year's opener over Western Kentucky, 81-65.
- Kentucky has earned a 14-5 record in the second round since 1992.
- UK is 19-6 in third round (previously second round games).
- Since 1992, UK is 100-27 (.787) in postseason play (SEC, NIT and NCAA).
- Kentucky is playing an NCAA Tournament game in Louisville for only the fourth time in school history.
- The Wildcats haven't played an NCAA Tournament game in the Queen City since the 1961 tournament.
- UK is 124-33 all-time in the city of Louisville and 2-0 in the KFC Yum! Center.
- Kentucky is making its 11th appearance as a No. 1 seed. The Cats were a one-seed in the 2010 tournament, when they advanced to the Elite Eight before losing to No. 2 seed West Virginia, 73-66.