Kentucky-Samford Postgame Notes
Dec. 4, 2012
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 5-3 on the season and Samford is 2-8.
- Kentucky leads the series 2-0, with both games in Lexington.
- UK is now 20-0 all-time against teams from the current alignment of the Southern Conference.
- UK continues its five-game homestand Saturday against Portland. The game will be at noon and will be televised on ESPN2.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Archie Goodwin, Julius Mays, Alex Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer and Nerlens Noel for the seventh-consecutive game.
- Alex Poythress opened the scoring with a 3-pointer from the right corner, the second time this season that UK got a three for the first basket.
- Kentucky scored the game's first seven points, keeping Samford off the board until 15:37 when Tim Williams tallied.
- Kyle Wiltjer notched a five-point play with 5:20 remaining in the first half. Wiltjer scored a basket and was fouled, followed by Samford coach Bennie Seltzer being assessed a technical foul. Wiltjer made both free throws on the technical, then made the free throw on the regular foul to complete the five-point play.
- UK had runs of 11-0 and 12-0 in the first half.
- The Wildcats went to intermission ahead 45-14, UK's largest halftime lead of the season.
- UK is 5-0 this season when leading at halftime.
- Samford scored the first nine points of the second half to make it 45-23. That was as close as the Bulldogs got as the Wildcats coasted to the victory.
- Kentucky shot 55.7 percent from the field, the fourth time the Wildcats have made at least half their shots.
- Six Wildcats scored in double figures, first time that has happened since the 2012 NCAA Tournament vs. Indiana.
- Kentucky used its size advantage to win points in the paint, 46-26.
- UK turned 17 Samford turnovers into 28 points.
- UK won bench points 21-5 and fast-break points 17-2.
- Archie Goodwin led all scorers with 18 points, adding four assists and a season-high three steals.
- Goodwin has at least four assists in five-straight games.
- Alex Poythress scored 16 points on 7-of-9 shooting.
- He is now shooting 68.5 percent on the season.
- Nerlens Noel tallied 13 points, six rebounds and five blocked shots.
- Noel has at least six rebounds in every game this season.
- Willie Cauley-Stein had 12 points and a career-high 12 rebounds.
- First Kentucky player this season with a double-double
- Also tied his season high with four blocked shots and had a season-best three steals
- Julius Mays had 10 points, five assists and three rebounds.
- Fourth time in the last five games he has scored in double figures
- Kyle Wiltjer had 10 points and a season-high seven rebounds.
- Playing in a season-high 21 minutes, Ryan Harrow had a season-high four assists.
- Jon Hood nailed a pair of 3-point shots, the first multi-three game of his career.
- Jarrod Polson had a career-high four assists and tied his career-best for steals with two.