Kentucky-Delaware State Postgame Notes
Nov. 22, 2008
- Kentucky is now 1-2 on the season. Delaware State is 1-5.
- This was the first game between Kentucky and Delaware State . It's also the first time that UK has played any team from Delaware (officially nicknamed "The First State" because it was the first state to ratify the United States Constitution in 1787).
- Kentucky is now 4-0 all-time against teams from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
- This was the opening game of the Findlay Toyota Las Vegas Invitational. UK plays host to Longwood on Monday at 7 p.m. before going to Las Vegas for two games on Nov. 28-29.
- Patrick Patterson has won the opening tip in all three games this season.
- Kentucky came out strong. Jodie Meeks canned a three-pointer on the first possession, followed by a Michael Porter steal and driving layup for a 5-0 lead.
- Meeks hit a second three with 16:41 remaining and another trey with 14:00 on the clock to extend the Wildcat advantage to 15-5.
- Kentucky eventually led by as many as 17 (30-13) in the first half before going to intermission out front at 37-23.
- UK extended its streak of 677 consecutive games making a three-pointer.
- Delaware State got as close as 11 points at 40-29.
- Kentucky put the game away with a 14-0 run to take a 54-29 lead.
- UK eventually extended the lead to as many as 29 points on two occasions, at 66-37 and the final tally of 71-42.
- After shooting only 21 percent on three-pointers in the first two games, UK connected on 52.9 percent today, making 9 of 17.
- UK also had an outstanding game at the free-throw line, making 85.7 percent (12 of 14).
- After struggling with turnovers the first two games, UK had only 12 miscues today.
Individual game notes
- Jodie Meeks tallied a game-high 22 points.
- This was the third straight game that Meeks hit double figures in the first half. He had 20 in the opening stanza vs. Virginia Military, 11 at North Carolina and 12 today.
- Meeks tied a career high with five three-pointers. Going back to last season, it is the fourth-straight game in which he has played that he has had at least two three-pointers.
- Freshman Darius Miller was next for UK with 13 points, a high for his young collegiate career.
- Perry Stevenson blocked a shot today, his ninth-straight game with at least one rejection.
- Junior Kevin Galloway and freshman Landon Slone got their first official game action as Wildcats.