Kentucky-VMI Postgame Notes
Nov. 14, 2008
FINAL SCORE: VMI 111, Kentucky 103
- In the opening game of the season, Kentucky fell to VMI by a final score of 111-103.
- This was the eighth meeting between UK and VMI. The Keydets snapped a five-game losing streak against the Cats, but UK still leads 5-3 in the all-time series.
- VMI's last win over Kentucky came in 1922 when they won by a final score of 37-32.
- Kentucky is now 87-19 all-time in season openers. The Wildcats are also 90-16 all-time in home openers.
- Kentucky 's last loss in a season opener came in a 64-52 loss to Western Kentucky on Nov. 15, 2001, in Rupp Arena.
- The Wildcats return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 18, when they travel to Chapel Hill to take on No. 1 North Carolina. Tip -off is set for 9 p.m.
Team Game Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Michael Porter, Perry Stevenson, Ramon Harris, Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson which was used in both exhibition games this season.
- The last time Kentucky scored 100-plus points in a game was when they notched 101 against Eastern Kentucky on Dec. 23, 2003.
- This was the most points Kentucky has given up since Dec. 27, 1989, when it lost 121-110 at North Carolina .
- The 111 points were the most given up in Rupp Arena since a 116-113 overtime loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on Dec. 23, 1989.
- The last time Kentucky gave up 100-plus points was on Feb. 10, 1993, when Arkansas tallied 101 in Fayetteville . The last time Kentucky scored 100-plus points and lost was a 104-103 overtime loss to Duke on March 28, 1992.
- The 14 made three-pointers by VMI were the most UK had allowed since 14 against Penn State on Nov. 25, 2000.
- Kentucky 's 25 turnovers were the most since committing 26 mishaps against Georgia on Feb. 15, 2006. VMI scored 38 points off UK turnovers.
- The Wildcats took their first lead of the game, 97-95, at the 4:52 mark in the second half.
- The 111 points Kentucky gave up to VMI were the most they had allowed the Keydets since VMI scored 78 against the Wildcats in 1977.
- Kentucky extended its streak to 675 consecutive games with at least one three-pointer.
- Kentucky trailed by ten at halftime, 57-47.
- The Wildcats trailed by as many as 23 points at 85-62 with 13:41 remaining in the game.
- UK dominated the rebounding, 48-29, and outscored VMI 70-36 in the paint.
Individual Game Notes
- Kentucky had four players reach double figures in points. Jodie Meeks led all scorers with 39. Meeks was 10-for-12 from the charity stripe.
- Jodie Meeks set a new career-high with 39 points, shattering his previous high of 21, which he scored on two occasions last year.
- Jodie Meeks also set a career high for points in a half with 20 points in the second half.
- Meeks finished with 39, while Perry Stevenson had 20 on the night. The last time two UK players had 20 points was Joe Crawford (35) and Ramel Bradley (20) at South Carolina on March 5, 2008.
- Perry Stevenson recorded his fourth career double-double with a career-high 20 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.
- Perry Stevenson had four blocks on the night, giving him at least one blocked shot in seven straight games. He has had two or more blocks in four of those contests.
- Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins and Josh Harrellson all saw their first action as Wildcats.
- Darius Miller finished with 12 points and eight rebounds in his collegiate debut, while DeAndre Liggins had six points, seven rebounds, five assists and two blocked shots.
- VMI had six players in double-figures, led by Travis Holmes with 30.