Kentucky-Maryland Postgame Notes
Nov. 9, 2012
- Kentucky won its season-opener, starting the season 1-0, while Maryland dropped to 0-1.
- The Wildcats are 9-5 all-time against Maryland and 5-2 in neutral site games
- UK is now 90-19 in season openers and 4-0 in their season lid-lifter under John Calipari.
- The Wildcats are 127-62 all-time against the ACC.
- Kentucky is now 43-16 in the New York metro area.
- Kentucky returns to action on Tuesday in the Champions Classic. The Wildcats take on the Duke Blue Devils in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga. Tip-off is scheduled for 9:35 p.m. ET and will be televised on ESPN.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, Alex Poythress and Kyle Wiltjer. It marks the second straight season UK started three freshmen in the season opener and the second time in program history.
- Julius Mays was the first sub off the bench for UK.
- Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 828 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
- Kentucky led 49-36 at the halftime break.
- The Wildcats shot 58.1 percent from the field in the first half, including 5-7 (71.4) from 3-point range.
- Kentucky finished 11 blocks in the game, led by Willie Cauley-Stein’s four.
- Kentucky shot 46.2 pct. (6-13) from 3-point range.
Individual game notes
#3 Nerlens Noel
- Grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
- Blocked three shots.
- Scored a career-high 10 points.
- Played a career-high 22 minutes.
- Dished out a career-high three assists.
#10 Archie Goodwin
- Scored 13 points in the first half.
- Finished with 16 points, including 9-of-11 from the free throw line.
- Tallied a game-high four blocked shots.
- Finished with eight points and six rebounds.
#22 Alex Poythress
- Scored eight points to go along with seven rebounds.
#33 Kyle Wiltjer
- Made first career start
- Made a career high four 3s.
- Finished with 19 points, the most since scoring 24 against Loyola (12/22/11).
- Scored 11 first-half points, the third time in his career he has tallied double-digit points in the first half.
- Scored in double-figures for the sixth time.
- Recorded career-high three blocked shots.
#34 Julius Mays
- Hit UK ’s first 3-pointer of the season.
- Finished with seven points and two steals.