Kentucky-UNC Asheville Postgame Notes
Nov. 8, 2013
Team Records, Notes
- This was the season opener for both teams.
- Kentucky leads the series 4-0, including 2-0 under Coach John Calipari.
- Kentucky has an all-time record of 91-19 in season-opening games, including 5-0 under Coach Calipari.
- Kentucky continues its season-opening homestand Sunday as UK hosts Northern Kentucky at 4 p.m. The game will be televised by affiliates of the Fox Sports Network, including Fox Sports South.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein.
- Four freshmen have started in 135 games in Kentucky history, 96 of which have occurred under Coach Calipari.
- After UNCA won the opening tip and committed a turnover, Andrew Harrison drove for a layup on UK’s first offensive possession of the season.
- Tied at 13, Kentucky took the lead for good with a six-point possession:
- Andrew Harrison began the spurt with a free throw. He missed the second but Cauley-Stein grabbed the rebound and fed Alex Poythress for a dunk and a foul.
- Poythress missed the foul shot but Cauley-Stein again claimed the rebound, this time finding James Young for a 3-pointer.
- Young then added a free throw and another 3-pointer to complete a 10-0 run and a 23-13 lead.
- The Wildcats went into halftime ahead 40-31.
- After Asheville closed within 41-34 to begin the second half, Kentucky went on a 10-2 run for a 51-36 lead.
- The Wildcats led by double digits the remainder of the game and pulled away for an 89-57 win.
- Kentucky dominated the inside game, winning rebounds 48-31, points in the paint 50-32 and second-chance points 25-6.
- Five Wildcats scored in double figures. The last time that happened was Feb. 27, 2013 vs. Mississippi State.
- UK forced three shot-clock violations during the game after having only six all of last season.
- A Kentucky player has notched a double-double in 9 of the last 10 season openers, including tonight.
- Kentucky has made a three-point shot in 861 consecutive games.
- After getting double-doubles in the two exhibition games, Julius Randle notched a double-double in his first official collegiate action with 23 points and 15 rebounds.
- Randle was two shy of UK first-game records in both categories. Terrence Jones had 25 points in his first collegiate game and Sam Bowie had 17 rebounds in his career lidlifter.
- Alex Poythress also got a double-double tonight with 10 points and a career-high 13 boards.
- It was his second career double-double. The other came last season with 20 and 12 in a win over LSU.
- UK is now 6-0 in Poythress’ career when he gets nine or more rebounds.
- Marcus Lee came off the bench to get 17 points in his collegiate debut.
- James Young had 11 points, seven of which came in the key 10-0 run early in the game.
- Willie Cauley-Stein had a fine floor game tonight with a career-high-tying four assists, four blocked shots and had a career-high-tying three steals.
- Aaron Harrison had 10 points, five rebounds and a game-high four steals.
- Andrew Harrison had eight points and a game-best five assists.