Kentucky-Clarion Postgame Notes
Nov. 6, 2009
- This was the second and final exhibition game before the 2009-10 season.
- This was the first meeting between Kentucky and Clarion, which is the alma mater of UK Coach John Calipari.
- Attendance: 23,802
- With the victory, Kentucky won its 14 th consecutive exhibition game and improved its all-time record in such games to 43-4.
- Kentucky opens the regular season at home against Morehead State on Fri. Nov. 13 at 6:30 p.m. The game will be televised by ESPNU.
- Kentucky opened with a starting lineup of John Wall, Darnell Dodson, Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson and DeMarcus Cousins.
- Kentucky never trailed as the Wildcats scored on their first four possessions – Cousins scored two baskets in the first minute, Wall hit a three-pointer and Cousins sank a free throw.
- Kentucky had runs of 8-0, 10-0 and 9-0 in the first half.
- UK led at halftime, 58-22, the team's biggest lead of the opening period.
- Kentucky's offense showed significant improvement tonight. UK scored 74 points in the first exhibition game, but needed just 26 minutes and 19 seconds to surpass that total tonight as the Wildcats hit 75 points at the 13:41 mark of the second half.
- Noteworthy play around the 11-minute mark … Wall drove the lane and dished to Cousins, who threw an inside-out pass to Patterson for a three-pointer.
- Darius Miller swished a three-pointer at the 4:07 mark to put Kentucky on the century mark with 100 points.
- UK's biggest lead of the second half was 65 points at 117-52, as the Wildcats turned it into a dunkfest in the closing minutes of the contest.
- Obviously a big offensive night for Kentucky, which shot 59.2 percent from the field (42-of-71), made half its threes (8-of-16) and 83.3 percent at the foul line (25-of-30).
- UK used its size advantage to dominate points in the paint, 64-12.
- John Wall led all players with 27 points and nine assists.
- DeMarcus Cousins tallied 20 points as a total of five Wildcats landed in double-figure scoring.
- Darnell Dodson paced all rebounders with nine caroms.
- Defensively, UK limited the visitors to 23.8 percent from the field at 15-of-63.
- Clarion was led by Mike Sherry with 11 points and five rebounds. Shameel Carty added 10 points for the Golden Eagles.