Kentucky-Montevallo Postgame Notes
Nov. 4, 2013
Team Records, Notes
- This was Kentucky’s second exhibition game of the season.
- UK is 51-4 all-time in exhibition games and has won 22 in a row.
- This was the first exhibition game for Montevallo, a member of the NCAA Division II Peach Belt Conference. Montevallo had two starters returning from a team that went 20-10 and advanced to the Division II NCAA Tournament last season.
- Kentucky opens the regular season Fri. Nov. 8 as UK hosts UNC Asheville at 7 p.m. The game will be televised by affiliates of the Fox Sports Network.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Jarrod Polson, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein.
- Montevallo came out hot and raced to a 9-2 lead and Kentucky opted for a timeout at 17:26.
- Following the timeout, Kentucky held Montevallo scoreless for more than five minutes while erupting for 14 straight points and a 16-9 lead.
- UK led by as many as 14 points in the opening period and went to halftime ahead 46-35.
- Ahead 52-42, UK went on a 9-0 run for a 61-42 lead.
- Montevallo rallied within 11 points on multiple occasions but got no closer.
- UK expanded the lead down the stretch for the 95-72 victory.
- Five Wildcats scored in double figures.
- Kentucky used its size to dominate the rebounding, 47-25, along with points in the paint, 60-24.
- It was another good shooting night for the Wildcats, 58.1 percent from the field, 45.5 percent from 3-point range and 72 percent at the free-throw line.
- Julius Randle collected 21 points and 11 rebounds, giving him a double-double in both exhibition games.
- James Young tallied 16 points and had the play of the night when he saved the ball from going out of bounds and accidentally lofted the ball into his own defensive basket, scoring two points for Montevallo.
- Willie Cauley-Stein gathered 12 points and had a game-high six blocked shots.
- Aaron Harrison had 10 points along with a game-high seven assists and no turnovers.