Blue/White Postgame Notes
Oct. 28, 2009
- This was the first Blue/White Game under new coach John Calipari.
- Blue/White Game attendance record of 14,060.
- Kentucky's exhibition games are Mon. Nov. 2 vs. Campbellsville and Fri. Nov. 6 vs. Clarion. Both games will be at 7 p.m. and televised by Fox Sports South.
- The Blue team started Darius Miller, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson.
- The White team opened with Darnell Dodson, Jon Hood, Perry Stevenson, Daniel Orton and DeAndre Liggins.
- Darnell Dodson and Daniel Orton saw action with both teams in the first half.
- Wall showed his ability to get to the basket early by flashing for a dunk.
- Playing for the White squad, Mark Krebs sank the first three-pointer.
- Dodson demonstrated his reputation as a three-point shooter by draining a pair of threes midway through the first half.
- Great athletic play by Orton, who followed a missed shot by soaring to the basket for a left-handed follow-up dunk.
- Bledsoe did an excellent job of penetrating for assists and baskets, including an old-fashioned three-point play.
- Patterson spent time facing the basket on offense and sank his only three-point attempt of the half.
- Coach Calipari stopped play near the end of the half and had four seconds placed on the clock. The inbounds pass went to Patterson in the corner, who maneuvered to the lane and swished a turnaround jumper at the buzzer.
- Josh Harrellson came off the White bench and got a double-double by halftime, 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Blue led at the half, 49-27.
- Some of the players switched sides for the second half and the score was reset to 0-0.
- Hood showed ambidextrous skills by sinking a left-handed runner in the lane.
- Cousins made a beautiful drive to the basket, capped by a spin move and left-handed layup.
- During the under-12 timeout, Coach Calipari had former head coach Joe B. Hall sit in the first chair on the bench, drawing a standing ovation from the crowd.
- Miller began asserting himself midway through the second half and poured in five quick baskets.
- A nifty drive-and-dish by Wall set up Hood for a three-pointer.
- Perhaps the prettiest play of the night – a Cousins bounce pass to Patterson for a backdoor reverse dunk …
- … unless you prefer Bledsoe's alley-oop to Orton for a one-handed slam dunk.
- Orton showed his range by draining a three in the final minute.
- Wall capped the night with dunks on both ends in the final seconds.
- The Blue team also won the second half, 57-46.
- The Blue team prevailed, 106-73.
- The teams combined to make 77 of 164 shots from the field (47 percent), 16 of 45 three-pointers (35.6 percent) and 9 of 14 (64.3 percent) at the foul line.
- The leading scorers were Darnell Dodson with 26 points, John Wall with 25 and Patrick Patterson with 24.
- Josh Harrellson was the only double-figure rebounder with 14 boards.
- Wall and Eric Bledsoe paced the assists column with 11 and nine, respectively.