Jones' 52 Points Highlights Blue-White Scrimmage
Oct. 26, 2011
Rupp Arena -- Lexington, Ky.
- Tonight's attendance: 12,134 (2010-11 attendance: 11,391).
- This was the fourth year that the Blue-White Scrimmage was played in Rupp Arena.
- The win marks the 10th consecutive game that Blue has gone unbeaten in the Blue-White Scrimmage, with its last loss to White coming in 2000-01 (scrimmage not held in 2007-08).
- Kentucky opens its preseason with a lidlifter against Transylvania on Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. ET at Rupp Arena. The game will be televised live on the UK IMG Sports Network on Fox Sports South.
- The White team opened with Darius Miller, Anthony Davis, Stacey Poole, Marcus Teague and Kyle Wiltjer. Twany Beckham and Sam Malone will come off the bench.
- The Blue team opened with Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Jarrod Polson, Doron Lamb and Eloy Vargas. Ryan Harrow and Brian Long will come off the bench.
- Jones opened scoring in the game for the Blue team with a layup with 18:24 left in the half.
- Vargas knocked in the first free throw of the game with 17:53 left in the half for the Blue team.
- Davis' dunk with 17:43 in the first half marked the first points for the White squad.
- Miller's three-pointer with 13:04 left in the frame marked the first successful shot from three-point land for either team.
- Harrow checked in with 12:18 left in the first half for the Blue team, marking the first substitution of the contest.
- With 9:40 left in the frame, Jones owned 12 of the Blue team's 26 points and seven of the club's 15 rebounds.
- During the 7:46 media timeout, the Blue team held a 35-30 lead, the largest at that point in the period, paced by 18 points and eight rebounds from Jones on a perfect 9-of-9 from the field.
- Miller's nifty spinning layup inside the paint with 7:34 remaining cut the Blue team lead to 35-32.
- Wiltjer's third trey of the half with 6:29 left in the period marked the 11th points of the game for the freshman, on 3-of-3 from behind the arc.
- A put-back dunk from Davis with 3:42 left in the period gave the White team a short-lived 42-41 lead.
- At the end of the half, Jones led all scorers with 26 points and 11 rebounds for the Blue team. Davis posted 16 points and six rebounds to lead the White team. The Blue team held a 53-48 lead.
- The Blue team scored 40 of its 53 total points in the paint in the first period, owning a 28-17 margin in rebounds.
- Jones got the scoring started in the second half with a layup at the 19:19 mark.
- Jones' layup and free throw attempt with 17:54 left in the game pushed him over the 30-point mark, giving him 31 for the contest.
- At the 15:43 timeout in the half, Blue held a 68-56 lead over White, with Jones' 33 points leading all scorers. Davis' 17 points paced the White club.
- The Blue squad took the largest lead of the game with 14:27 left in the contest, a 74-64 margin.
- Jones equaled Brandon Knight's 37-point Blue-White Scrimmage outburst in 2010-11 with two-handed slam with 13:02 left in the contest.
- Jones' layup with 8:02 left in the half lifted his point total to 43, with Blue holding a 98-75 margin.
- With his second three pointer of the game with 4:37 left in the game, Jones notched his 50th points of the game.
- At the under four-minute timeout, Blue held a 112-90 lead with 3:48 remaining. Jones paced all scorers with 50 points, with Lamb adding 26 and Kidd-Gilchrist totaling 21 points. For White, Davis added 27 points, Miller 24 points, Wiltjer 18 points and Teague 17 points.
- Poole's three-pointer with 45 seconds remaining for the White team, pushed its total to 100.
- Long's three-pointer with 32 seconds left marked his first points of the game.
- Polson got on the board for the first time in the game with a dunk with 14 seconds remaining in the game.
- Teague finished the scoring with a dunk with eight seconds remaining in the scrimmage.
- Jones led all scorers with 52 points on 24-of-31 shooting, adding 16 rebounds and six assists.
- Jones' 52 points are the most for a UK player in the Blue/White Game since Knight's 37 points in the 2010-11 Blue-White Scrimmage. (Previous high scorers in the Rupp Arena Blue/White Games were Jodie Meeks with 32 points in 2008 and Darnell Dodson with 26 in 2009).
- Lamb finished with 31 points in the game on 14-of-27 shooting, hauling in five rebounds with five assists.
- Kidd-Gilchrist added 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists for Blue, with Harrow rounding out the Blue team's double-digit performers.
- Vargas hauled in 16 rebounds and added seven points, equaling Jones for a game-high 16 rebounds.
- Davis recoded a double-double for the White team, posting 27 points and 13 rebounds.
- Wiltjer tied Davis for a White team-high 27 points, totaling 5-of-8 three-pointer attempts and adding 11 rebounds, with his five treys going as a game high.
- Teague finished with 19 rebounds and a game-best eight assists.