Kentucky-Dominican Republic National Team Postgame Notes
Aug. 15, 2014
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky improves to 4-0 on its 2014 exhibition tour in the Bahamas.
- Including a trip to Canada for an exhibition series in 2010, the Wildcats are now 7-0 in exhibition contests in the John Calipari era.
- Associated head coach Kenny Payne served as Kentucky’s head coach in today’s contest.
- The Wildcats return to action on Saturday, Aug. 16 at 1 p.m. ET. UK will have a rematch with Champagne Chalons-Reims Basket. The Cats previously defeated the French pro team, 81-58, on Monday.
- UK dished out 18 assists and has combined for 76 assists in the four contests for an average of 19 dimes a game.
- For the third consecutive game, the Wildcats shot better than 50 percent from the field. UK poured in 35 made field goals on a 51 percent shooting clip in today’s contest.
- Kentucky tied its Bahamas-tour high with six made 3-pointers. Alex Poythress and Tyler Ulis led the way as both players sunk two from long range.
First Half Facts
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress for the fourth consecutive outing.
- Kentucky’s first subs off the bench remained the same with the squad of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
- The teams exchanged points back-and-forth to begin the half. Johnson scored UK’s first four points.
- Poythress ignites a UK run to take a 14-9 lead following a breakaway lay-in.
- Kentucky then goes on a 7-0 run to take a 32-24 lead with 7:42 remaining. The run was capped by a Booker 3-pointer.
- UK did not allow the Dominicans to score a field goal over the final 4:03 of the half which sparked a stanza-ending 13-6 run to earn a 47-36 edge at the break.
- Johnson and Poythress led the way in the opening half. Johnson had eight points and eight rebounds, while Poythress posted 13 points and four rebounds.
Second Half Facts
- UK began the second half with Hawkins, Lee, Towns, Ulis and Willis in the lineup for the fourth straight game.
- That unit opened the half on another quick run sparked by consecutive alley-oop dunks by Lee.
- The run stretched to as many as 9-0 with a Hawkins’ floater ending the spurt.
- With 13 minutes remaining in the half, Johnson secured a double-double becoming the third different Wildcat to have double-digits in both points and rebounds during the exhibition contests.
- The Dominicans, however, did not go away and clawed back to within 12 at 68-56.
- Towns had eight points and six rebounds after the break.
- Poythress contributed seven points to become the first player to reach the 20-point plateau during the trip.
- Andrew Harrison posted eight points and added a team-high six assists.
- Has four or more assists in all four games
- Totaled 21 assists in four games for an average of 5.25 assists per outing
- Dakari Johnson secured a double-double with 10 points and a squad-best 12 boards.
- Is the third different player to register a double-double in the Bahamas
- Averaging 8.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game in the four contests
- One of three players with at least 10 offensive rebounds
- Marcus Lee scored eight points and added a trio of rebounds
- Has made 10 field goals in the last two games that have all come by way of a jam
- Averaging 9.5 points and is shooting 73.9 percent from the floor
- Alex Poythress led the team with 20 points and contributed five rebounds.
- Leads the team averaging 15 points a game
- Also contributing 7.3 rebounds
- Shooting at a team-high 74.2 percent from the floor
- One of two players to score in double-digits in all four games.
- Karl-Anthony Towns posted 12 points and seven rebounds in today’s win.
- Had eight points and six rebounds after the half
- Averaging 12.8 points and a team-high 7.5 rebounds per game
- Is one of two players to score in double-figures in all four games