Kentucky-Puerto Rico National Team Reserves Postgame Notes
Aug. 12, 2014
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky improves to 3-0 and 2-0 against the Puerto Rico National Team Reserves on its 2014 exhibition tour in the Bahamas.
- Including a trip to Canada for an exhibition series in 2010, the Wildcats are now 6-0 in exhibition contests in the John Calipari era.
- Assistant coach John Robic served as Kentucky’s head coach in today’s contest.
- The Wildcats return to action on Friday, Aug. 15 at 1 p.m. ET. UK will play the Dominican National Team coached by former UK assistant Orlando Antigua. Former Wildcat Eloy Vargas is also expected to suit up for the DRNT.
- UK dished out 21 assists and has combined for 58 assists in the three contests.
- For the third straight contest, at least 10 Kentucky players scored at least one basket. All but one who appeared in the game netted at least two points.
- Kentucky dominated the boards and hauled in 41 for the game. Six different players had three or more snags.
- Entering the contest, UK had combined to shoot 50 percent from the floor. In today’s victory, the Cats utilized a 62 percent shooting clip and charted 15 field goals by way of a dunk. Marcus Lee led the way with a team-high six dunks. Each one of his made field goals came in the form of a jam.
- The Wildcats sunk a Bahamas-tour-high six 3-pointers in today’s game at a 50 percent rate. Sophomore Aaron Harrison hit three triples, while Tod Lanter, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis also hit from long range.
First Half Facts
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress for the third consecutive outing.
- Kentucky’s first subs off the bench remained the same with the squad of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
- Puerto Rico jumped out to an early 4-0 advantage and kept the game close midway through the opening stanza.
- Poythress ignited a 7-0 UK run behind three offensive rebounds in back-to-back possessions.
- UK held an 18-12 lead at the 10:21 mark and went on a 16-2 overall run following a Willis 3-pointer and then a feed from Hawkins to Willis for an alley-oops dunk to give the Blue and White a 34-14 edge.
- Kentucky led by as many as 22 following consecutive Aaron Harrison 3-pointers from the left wing.
- UK combined for seven first half dunks, with more than half coming in transition.
- Poythress led the way with nine opening half points and six rebounds.
- Andrew Harrison had seven first half points and four assists.
- Karl-Anthony Towns added eight points in first half.
Second Half Facts
- UK began the second half with Hawkins, Lee, Towns, Ulis and Willis in the lineup for the third straight game.
- That unit opened the half on a 5-0 run; and has now put together at least a two-possession stretch of points in three straight games to open the second half.
- Lee capped the run with a steal and run out one-handed jam to push UK’s lead to 28.
- Kentucky pushed the advantage to 39 following Aaron Harrison’s third made triple of the game at 86-49.
- UK earned its largest lead following a Lanter made 3-pointer and an EJ Floreal made layup at 91-51.
- Lee and Johnson both led all second half scorers with eight points apiece. Johnson also hauled in a squad-best four rebounds after the break.
- Aaron Harrison poured in 12 points paced by a 3-for-4 day behind the arc.
- Hauled in three rebounds and added a pair of steals in the win.
- Averaging 10.7 points per game and shooting at a 57 percent clip.
- Andrew Harrison logged nine points and a team-high six assists.
- Has four or more assists in all three games.
- Was a perfect 3-for-3 from the charity stripe.
- Dominique Hawkins dished out four assists and added two points and two steals.
- Notched six assists in three games.
- Has at least one steal in every game in the Bahamas.
- Marcus Lee totaled 14 points and seven rebounds.
- Made six field goals all by way of a dunk.
- Grabbed two offensive boards and five on the defensive end.
- Shot 86 percent from the floor and is shooting .722 during the Bahamas tour.
- Alex Poythress notched a double-double with team highs in points (15) and rebounds (10).
- Scored six points off of dunks.
- Totaled 15 offensive rebounds in three games.
- Has gotten to the free throw line a team-best 16 times.
- Shooting 68 percent from the field.
- Is leading the team in points (13.7) and rebounds (8.0) in the tournament.
- Karl-Anthony Towns posted 10 points and six rebounds in today’s win.
- Is averaging 13 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in the tournament.
- Tyler Ulis scored a tournament personal-best seven points and added four assists.
- Has passed out three or more assists in every contest in the Bahamas.
- Connected on a 3-pointer for the second straight game.
- Also contributed a pair of steals and has four total swipes in three games.
- Derek Willis totaled nine points and five rebounds in the win.
- Six points came from dunks.
- Has connected for a 3-pointer in back-to-back games.
- Posted at least five rebounds in two straight contests.