Kentucky-Louisville Postgame Notes
March 31, 2012
- Kentucky moved 37-2, while Louisville dropped to 30-10.
- The Wildcats are 30-14 all-time against Louisville and 3-2 against the Cardinals in the NCAA Tournament.
- UK is now 110-46 in NCAA Tournament games.
- Kentucky’s 110 tournament wins is the most in the country.
- The Wildcats are 18-7 in Final Four games and 8-3 in national semifinal games.
- Kentucky is 36-13 all-time in New Orleans and 6-2 in NCAA Tournament games played in New Orleans.
- Head coach John Calipari is 37-13 in the NCAA Tournament.
- John Calipari will coach in his second national championship on Monday night.
- The Wildcats will face the winner of the Kansas/Ohio State game on Monday in the national championship game. It is Kentucky’s first appearance in the championship since winning the 1998 National Championship.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Anthony Davis and Marquis Teague for the 28th time this season. UK is 27-1 with that starting five.
- Darius Miller was the first sub off the bench for UK. It was his 26th time as the Wildcat sixth man.
- Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 826 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
- With seven blocked shots, the Wildcats pushed their NCAA record number of blocks to 333.
- After Louisville scored the game’s opening basket, Kentucky hit its first four shots of the game, going on an 8-0 run to take an 8-2 lead.
- The Wildcats went into the locker room at halftime leading 35-28. Kentucky is 31-0 when leading at halftime.
- UK shot 60 pct. in the first half, the third time in the tournament the Cats have hit better than 50 pct. from the field in the first half.
- The Wildcats shot 57.1 pct. from the field for the game, the fourth time in five NCAA Tournament games UK has hit better than 50 pct. from the field.
- Anthony Davis’ five blocked shots are the third most in a Final Four game and second most in a semifinal game in tournament history.
Individual game notes
- Finished with 13 points pushing his career total to 1,243 points, placing him 35th on the UK all-time scoring list.
- Ranks 10th on UK’s all-time 3-point field goals list with 174.
- Averaging 13.2 in NCAA Tournament.
- Has hit 21 of last 22 free throws.
- With six points, Jones moves to 53rd on UK’s all-time scoring list with 1,055 career points.
#14 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
- Averaging 12.6 points and 6.6 rebounds in the NCAA Tournament.
#20 Doron Lamb
- With 10 points moved to within 4 points of his 1,000th career point. Would be the 60th member of the 1,000-point club and the third one this season.
- Averaging 15.4 in NCAA Tournament.
#23 Anthony Davis
- With 18 points and 14 rebounds, recorded his 20th double-double, tying the UK freshman record (DeMarcus Cousins) for double-doubles.
- With five blocks, moved to second on the NCAA all-time freshman block list with 180. He is two blocks shy of tying the freshman record 182 (Hassan Whiteside, Marshall; 2010).
- Averaging 15.2 points, 11.6 rebounds and 4.6 blocks in NCAA Tournament.
#25 Marquis Teague
- Finished with five assists to three turnovers. In last 21 games, has 112 assists to 51 turnovers, a 2.2 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Averaging 13.2 points and 5.2 assists in NCAA Tournament.