Kentucky-Ohio State Postgame Notes
March 26, 2011
- Kentucky improves to 28-8 on the season. Ohio State finishes its season at 34-3.
- The Wildcats are 11-8 all-time against Ohio State and beat the Buckeyes for the first time in six tries in the NCAA Tournament.
- UK moves to 105-45 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 14-1 in NCAA Tournament games held in the New York City metro area.
- The Cats are now 17-5 in the Sweet 16 (since ’75) and 32-11 in regional semifinals.
- John Calipari is 31-12 in the NCAA Tournament.
- UK beat a No. 1 ranked team for the first time since beating top-ranked Florida, 70-55 on Feb. 4, 2003.
- Kentucky is now 6-13 against No. 1 ranked teams.
- Kentucky advances to the Elite 8 for the second straight season where they will face the North Carolina Tar Heels.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Darius Miller, Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb and Josh Harrellson. UK is 9-1 with that starting lineup.
- DeAndre Liggins was the first sub off the bench for Kentucky. It was his 11th time to be the first Wildcat off the bench.
- Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 785 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
- The Wildcats scored their first field at the 16:31 mark.
- The game was tied 30-30 at halftime. It was only the second time this season (40-40 vs. Notre Dame) that UK has been tied at the half. Kentucky is now 2-0 when tied at the half.
- DeAndre Liggins scored in double-figures for the 14th time this season. UK is 12-2 when he does so.
- UK is 26-0 when holding its opponent to 67 points or fewer. The Cats are 47-0 under Calipari when holding an opponent to 67 points or fewer.
- UK is 24-2 when leading or tied at halftime.
- UK’s 11 blocks are tied for the second most by a Kentucky team in the NCAA Tournament
Individual game notes
- Has hit a 3-pointer in 23-straight games.
- Has hit 10-straight free throws and 12 of his last 13.
- Hit multiple 3-pointers for the first time since hitting four against Auburn on Jan. 11.
#12 Brandon Knight
- Set the UK freshman scoring record (618 points and counting) by hitting a game-winning jumper with 5.4 seconds left. Knight passed John Wall as the UK freshman scoring leader.
- Has hit two game-winning baskets in the closing seconds in just three NCAA Tournament games
- Finished with nine points and four assists
#20 Doron Lamb
- Hit multiple 3-pointers for the first time since draining two against Alabama in the SEC Tournament semifinals.
#34 DeAndre Liggins
- Scored in double-figures for the 14th time this season.
- Finished with three blocks, tying career high.
- His 15 points were his most since scoring 19 points on Feb. 8 against Tennessee
#55 Josh Harrellson
- Recorded eighth double-double this season, and his third in postseason play.
- Finished with 12 points in the first half, first time he’s tallied double-figures in the first half this season.
- Is shooting 21-27 in NCAA Tournament games for a .778 FG%
- Is averaging 15.7 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in three NCAA Tournament games this season.