Kentucky-West Virginia Postgame Notes
March 19, 2011
- Kentucky moves to 27-8 on the season. West Virginia finishes its season at 21-12.
- The Wildcats are 14-5 all-time against West Virginia and 1-1 against the Mountaineers in the NCAA Tournament.
- UK moves to 103-45 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 6-1 in NCAA Tournament games held in the Tampa metro area.
- The Cats are now 13-5 in NCAA Tournament second round (currently third round).
- John Calipari is 30-12 in the NCAA Tournament.
- Kentucky advance to its 22nd Sweet 16, the second most in NCAA Tournament history
- UK advances to the Sweet 16 in Newark, N.J. They will face the winner of tomorrow’s Ohio State/George Mason game on Friday, March 25.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Darius Miller, Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb and Josh Harrellson. UK is 8-1 with that starting lineup.
- DeAndre Liggins was the first sub off the bench for Kentucky. It was his 10th time to be the first Wildcat off the bench.
- Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 784 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
- UK trailed 41-33 at the half. The Wildcats are 4-6 when trailing at halftime.
- The last time Kentucky trailed by as many as eight points at the half was in the SEC opener against Georgia. The Wildcats trailed the Bulldogs 41-30.
- The last time UK trailed at the half was in the regular season finale. Kentucky trailed at Tennessee 29-22.
- For the second-straight game, the Wildcats shot better than 50 percent from the field in the first half. The Cats were 13-of-24 (54.2) in the first half against Princeton and shot 13-of-23 (56.5) in the first half against West Virginia.
- Trailing 41-33 starting the second, Kentucky went on an 11-0 run to take a 44-41 lead. The UK defense held West Virginia scoreless the first 6:13 of the second half.
- Down 55-51 at the 7:37 mark, UK went on a 9-0 run to take a 60-55 lead. Kentucky scored 20 of the game’s final 28 points.
- UK moves to 25-0 when holding the opponent to 67 or fewer points.
- The Cats are 46-0 under Calipari when holding an opponent to 67 points or fewer.
Individual game notes
- Hit huge 3-pointer with 4:11 remaining to give the Cats a five-point lead.
- Tallied 10 second-half points.
- Recorded his team-leading 12th double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Jones’ 12 double-doubles place him in a tie with Chris Mills for the second most by a freshman in UK history.
- Recorded two blocks to place him in a tie with DeMarcus Cousins (67) for the third most blocks by a freshman in UK history.
#12 Brandon Knight
- Finished with career-high 30 points.
- Last time a Wildcat scored 30 or more points in an NCAA Tournament game was Joe Crawford finishing with 35 points in the first round of the 2008 NCAA Tournament against Marquette.
- Opened the game with a pair of 3-pointers, the third time this season he’s scored the game’s opening basket on a 3-pointer.
- Scored 12 of UK’s first 16 points.
- Tallied his UK freshman record 13th 20-point game of the season.
- Has scored in double figures in 33 of 35 games.
- Reached double-figure points in the first half for the 14th time this season.
- Has averaged 21.4 points in nine games against top 25 teams this season. He has tallied six 20-point games in that nine-game stretch.
#20 Doron Lamb
- Hit his first 3-pointer since knocking down two in the SEC Tournament semifinals against Alabama.
#34 DeAndre Liggins
- Tied a career high with nine rebounds. Also had four assists, two blocks and three points
#55 Josh Harrellson
- Tallied his 11th double-figure scoring game this season.
- Averaging 12.2 points and 8.6 rebounds in five postseason games this season.