Kentucky-Florida Postgame Notes
March 16, 2014
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky falls to 24-10 overall while Florida improves to 32-2.
- Kentucky still leads the series 94-37 overall, and 3-2 against Florida in SEC Tournament title games.
- The Wildcats are 121-25 all-time in the SEC Tournament and 24-8 when it’s held in Atlanta.
- Kentucky is 28-10 all-time in the SEC Tournament Championship game.
- Kentucky’s starting lineup consisted of five freshmen in Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle and James Young. That lineup falls to 8-4 on the season.
- Willie Cauley-Stein was the first sub off the bench for UK. He’s been the first substitution 14 times this season.
- Aaron Harrison hit a 3-pointer at the 15:06 mark of the second half to extend UK’s 3-point streak to 894 consecutive games. It is the third largest streak in the country.
- John Calipari coached teams are 124-38 in the months of March and April.
First Half Facts
- Florida opened the game by draining a pair of 3-pointers from Michael Frazier before a jumper from Andrew Harrison gave UK its first basket of the game.
- The Gators earned its largest lead of the half at 14 points with 4:40 remaining.
- Kentucky trailed by 10 at the break by a 40-30 margin. UK is 4-7 this season when trailing at halftime.
Second Half Facts
- A pair of Patric Young baskets to begin the half stretched the lead back to the largest of the game at 14 points. The Gators would eventually push the lead to 16 at the 18:11 mark.
- A 14-0 run over a 4:31 span brought the Wildcats back to within one at 54-53 with 6:16 remaining. UK forced the Gators into three turnovers during the spurt.
- The Gators responded by scoring five-consecutive points to once again stretch the lead to a two possession game at 59-53 with 4:56 to play.
- A Young 3-pointer cut the deficit to just one at 61-60 with 1:31 remaining. UK then forced the Gators into a turnover on the other end. An Andrew Harrison floater just rimmed out and the Gators claimed possession. It took three fouls before Florida was in the bonus.
- Florida missed the front end of consecutive 1-and-1s, but UK’s final possession shot attempt to win the game didn’t get off as the Wildcats lost control of the ball on a handoff.
- Willie Cauley-Stein registered his fourth double-double of the season with 10 points and 11 boards.
- Became the third player in as many seasons to swat 100 or more shots in a season.
- Led the team in rebounding for the seventh time this season.
- Reached double-figure scoring for the 10th game this year and the 21st of his career.
- Aaron Harrison finished with a team-high 16 points and knocked down a pair of 3-pointers.
- Led the team in scoring in the tournament with 52 points for the tournament and an average of 17.5 per game.
- Andrew Harrison scored 10 points, had four rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Had 19 assists in three games in the SEC Tournament. It’s the most assists in a three-game stretch in his career.
- James Young poured in 13 points and added four rebounds.
- Has made at least one 3-pointer in 12 consecutive games. That’s a career-long streak.