Kentucky-Vanderbilt Postgame Notes
Feb. 25, 2012
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 28-1 overall and has won 20 in a row.
- UK is 14-0 in Southeastern Conference play. Kentucky clinched the outright 2012 SEC championship, the 45th league crown in school history.
- Vanderbilt is 20-9 overall, 9-5 in the SEC.
- Kentucky leads the series 136-44, including 76-14 in Lexington.
- UK is 13-4 against Vanderbilt when the Wildcats are ranked No. 1.
- Kentucky returns to action Thursday at 9 p.m. against Georgia. The game will be televised by ESPN. Darius Miller and Eloy Vargas will be honored in Senior Night ceremonies.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones and Anthony Davis for the ninth-straight game. UK is 19-1 when starting this lineup.
- Vanderbilt jumped out to a 4-0 lead on the game’s first possession with a free throw, a rebound and then a three-pointer by Jeffery Taylor.
- The teams battled evenly the remainder of the half. Tied at 24, UK went on an 8-0 run for a 32-24 lead. Moments later, Vanderbilt countered with a 9-0 run for a 36-34 lead.
- Brad Tinsley hit a foul shot with three seconds on the clock to send VU to a 37-36 halftime advantage.
- It was the first time UK trailed at half at home vs. an SEC opponent since Feb. 15, 2011 vs. Mississippi State (40-39). UK went on to defeat MSU 85-79.
- Six ties and six lead changes in the first half.
- Kentucky opened the second stanza with a 6-0 run to go ahead 42-37.
- After Kentucky went 0-8 from three-point range in the first half, Doron Lamb scored UK’s first basket outside the lane at the 14:14 mark with a three-pointer to give UK a 48-45 lead.
- Clinging to a 55-54 lead, Darius Miller got his first basket on a floater in the lane at 9:59. Miller’s shot ignited an 11-2 UK run to put the Wildcats up 66-56. He also had a three-pointer and another two in the 11-2 spurt.
- Vanderbilt responded with an 9-0 run, featuring two three-pointers by John Jenkins and a Jenkins foul shot, to pull within 66-65.
- UK bounced back with a 7-1 burst to make it 73-66.
- Ahead 75-70 in the final minute, UK got a huge play from Miller – leaping to grab an inbounds pass, fighting through a double team and then lasering a pass to Terrence Jones for a dunk.
- UK put the game away, going ahead 79-70, when Davis blocked a shot and Teague converted a pair of foul shots.
- Kentucky shot 57.1 percent from the field. It is the 14th time this season that the Wildcats have made at least half their shots in a game.
- UK blocked eight shots today. The Wildcats lead the nation in blocked shots with 9.3 per game.
- Kentucky has 263 blocks this season and is ranked 14th on the NCAA single-season blocks list.
- UK has an all-time record of 165-25 while being ranked No. 1 (AP) in the country, including 11-1 this season.
- UK is 68-2 at home while being ranked No. 1.
- John Calipari is 53-7 while coaching the top-ranked team in the country, including 12-2 at Kentucky.
- The Wildcats extended their home winning streak to 51 games, the longest active streak in the nation. The run includes the 2009 NIT game at Memorial Coliseum and the last 50 games at Rupp Arena.
- UK is a perfect 50-0 under Calipari at Rupp Arena, the longest win streak in venue history.
- Over the last three seasons, UK’s men and women basketball teams have combined for a home record of 98-2.
- The UK men clinched the outright SEC championship today and the women, having clinched a tie for the league crown, could win it outright Sunday. The only time men’s and women’s teams have won outright (non-tied) SEC championships was LSU in 2006.
- In its 109th season of basketball, Kentucky is the NCAA’s all-time wins leader with 2,080 wins.
- Anthony Davis totaled a career-high 28 points, 11 rebounds and five blocked shots.
- Davis had his 13th double-double of the season, tying Terrence Jones for second place on the UK freshman double-doubles list.
- After hitting 10 of 11 field-goal attempts today, Davis has made 66 of 97 (68 percent) from the field in the last 11 games.
- With 11 rebounds today, Davis has 285 this season, moving past Sam Bowie and Chris Mills for third place on the UK freshman rebounding list.
- Davis has blocked at least two shots in every game this season. He entered the game leading the nation with 4.8 blocks per game.
- With five blocks today, Davis has 138 and moved past Nazr Mohammad (135) for 10th place on the Kentucky career blocks list.
- Marquis Teague had 16 points, one short of his career high, and added six assists.
- Has 62 assists vs. 27 turnovers in the last 12 games, a ratio of 2.3 to 1.
- Averaging 6.8 assists over the last five games.
- Terrence Jones scored 12 points, his fourth-straight game in double figures.