Kentucky-South Carolina Postgame Notes
Feb. 25, 2010
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 27-1, 12-1 in the Southeastern Conference and has won eight in a row.
- South Carolina is 14-13 overall, 5-8 in league action.
- Kentucky leads the series, 42-10, ending South Carolina's three-game win streak against the Wildcats. UK leads the series 22-2 in games played in Lexington.
- Kentucky is in the midst of four road games in a five-game stretch. The Wildcats play at Tennessee on Saturday at noon. The game will be televised by CBS.
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Darius Miller, Patrick Patterson and DeMarcus Cousins for the second-consecutive game and 20 th time this season.
- Patrick Patterson scored the game's first basket with a three-pointer at 19:23. That also extended UK's streak of 739 consecutive games with at least one three-pointer.
- Kentucky jumped out to a 7-0 lead and never trailed in the game.
- USC rallied within 16-15 and 23-21 before Kentucky closed the half with a 14-5 run.
- Kentucky led at halftime, 37-26.
- Kentucky opened the second half with a 5-0 spurt to increase the lead to 42-26, UK's largest advantage of the game.
- Devan Downey, who had a game-high 26 points, sparked a South Carolina comeback. The Gamecocks pulled as close as six on three occasions, 48-42, 50-44 and 52-46.
- South Carolina was still within 10 points at 69-59 on a Downey three-pointer with 2:52 remaining, but the Wildcats took control and scored the next 13 points to clinch the victory.
- With drives to the basket and the play of Cousins and Patterson, UK dominated points in the paint, 56-30.
- After getting outrebounded in Columbia, UK led tonight's battle of the boards, 47-31.
- Kentucky's bench outscored the Gamecocks reserves, 13-0.
- UK shot 50 percent from the field (32 of 64). It was the 13 th game this season that the Wildcats made at least half their shots, the fourth time in SEC play.
John Wall had 12 points, including four foul shots, and had four assists.
- Wall broke the UK freshman season record for free throws made with 133. The old record was 131 by Dwight Anderson in the 1978-79 season.
- Wall has 450 points this season and moved past Sam Bowie (440, 1979-80) for third place on the UK freshman season scoring list.
- Wall extended his UK freshman season assist record to 167.
Patrick Patterson had a season-high 23 points.
- Patterson moved past Joe Crawford for 19 th place on the UK career scoring list and has 1,442 points as a Wildcat.
- Patterson had a season-high four blocked shots tonight, his most since eight rejections vs. Georgia on March 4, 2009.
DeMarcus Cousins had 19 points and 11 rebounds.
- It is his 17 th double-double of the season.
- Cousins broke the UK freshman season rebounding record with 285 boards. The old record was 277 boards by Chris Mills in the 1988-89 season.