Kentucky-Texas A&M Postgame Notes
Feb. 2, 2013
- Kentucky improves to 15-6 overall and 6-2 in Southeastern Conference action. Texas A&M drops to 13-8 and 3-5 in league play.
- UK now leads the series 3-2 and 1-0 when the game is played in College Station, Texas.
- Kentucky now owns a 7-4 record when games are played in the Lonestar State.
- Kentucky returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 5 when UK hosts South Carolina in the team's lone matchup of the season. Game time is set for 9 p.m. ET and will air on ESPNU.
Team Game Notes
- UK used the starting combination of Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, Julius Mays, Nerlens Noel and Alex Poythress for the fifth time this season. That starting combination is now is 5-1 when starting that lineup.
- Nerlens Noel opened the scoring for UK and it's the fourth time this season he's scored first for the Cats.
- Kyle Wiltjer was the first sub off the bench for the Blue and White. He has been the first sub a team-leading eight times this season.
- Wiltjer connected on Kentucky's first 3-point attempt of the game at the 16:20-minute mark of the first half to extend UK's 3-point streak to 848 consecutive games which is a standard that ranks as the third longest such streak in the nation.
- Kentucky opened the game to a 9-0 lead. The Aggies scored a free throw at the 13:38 mark for the first tally of the game for the home team. The nine-straight points to open the game were the most to begin a game this season.
- With the game tied 13-13, UK utilized a 17-8 run to end the half to take a 30-21 lead at the break. UK improves to 14-1 this season when leading at the half.
- Texas A&M was 18-19 at the free throw line as a team, including 17-17 during regulation.
- Today's game marked the first overtime contest of the season for the Cats. UK is now 52-43 all-time when games need an extra period to decide. The last overtime game was Feb. 3, 2011 in a 77-76 loss at Arkansas.
- Harrow, Mays and Noel all played more than 40 minutes in today's game. They are the first players to top the 40-minute mark since Josh Harrellson, Brandon Knight and Darius Miller did so in the Arkansas overtime contest.
Individual Player Notes
#3 Nerlens Noel
- Notched his third career double-double with 19 points and 14 rebounds.
- Has snatched at least six rebounds in every game this season.
- Scored a career-high 19 points and has reached double-figures in 12 games this season including six of the last eight games played.
- Swatted two shots and has posted two or more in 14-straight games.
- Has scored at least two in points in a career long five-straight games.
#10 Archie Goodwin
- At the 11:44 mark in the second half he completed his team-leading eighth traditional three-point play.
- Saw his first game action since the Tennessee game.
#22 Alex Poythress
- Has made multiple free throws in 13-straight games.
- Sunk 7-9 free throws including 2-2 in today's game in clutch situations (a six-point game inside three minutes to play and overtime). The seven made are the most of any UK player this season.
#33 Kyle Wiltjer
- -Contributed a trio of blocks, the most since having two against Tennessee.
- Has scored eight or more points in six-straight contests and reached double-figures in five of the last six games with 10 in today's game.
- Has reached double-figure scoring 12 times this season and 17 times in his career.
- Drilled at least one 3-pointer in five of the last six games.
#34 Julius Mays
- Made multiple 3-pointers in six of the last seven games with four in today's contest. The four made 3-pointers matches a season high which he has achieved two other previous times.
- Reached double-figure scoring for the seventh time this season and the 34th time in his career.
- Set a new season high in points with 20 in today's game.