Baseball vs. No. 17 Mississippi State -- Post-Game Notes -- 5/23/14
May 23, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
Kentucky vs. Mississippi State
May 23, 2014 -- Hoover, Ala.
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky faced off with Mississippi State for the first time in 2014.
- Mississippi State leads the all-time series 56-34.
- Kentucky is 4-4 all-time vs. Mississippi State in the SEC tournament.
- It marks the third consecutive year the two teams have met in the SEC tournament.
- UK won three straight SEC tournament games for the first time since 1996.
- The 12 inning contest marks the longest game in SEC tournament history, lasting four hours and 36 minutes.
- Kentucky has a record of 11-8 against ranked foes.
- Kentucky is 2-3 in extra-inning games this year and 3-3 in games decided in the last at-bat.
- UK improved to 21-29 all-time in the SEC tournament.
- UK moved to 6-1 in neutral site games.
- UK is 3-0 on Thursdays and 8-5 in May.
- Kentucky improved to 11-3 in its blue and white uniform combination.
- UK is now 14-7 in night games.
- UK turned its 54th and 55th double plays of the year.
- UK produced double-digit hits for the 31st time this season.
- Kentucky is 12-6 when facing a left handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 11-15 when its opponent scores first.
- Kentucky will face the winner of Florida and Mississippi State in the semifinals of the SEC tournament on Saturday, with the first pitch set for 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first semifinal matchup which begins at 1:00 p.m. ET.
- Freshman right hander Zack Brown made his fourth start of 2014, his second career SEC start.
- Brown worked 3.2 innings, allowing four hits and one run while striking out one.
- Junior LHP/1B A.J. Reed made his team-leading 112th consecutive start.
- Reed has reached base safely in 53 of 57 games in 2014, including a team-high 28 straight.
- Reed hit his third double of the SEC tournament, his 17th of the season.
- Reed collected multiple walks for the 13th time this season.
- Sophomore LF Ka’ai Tom hit the 13th double of his career.
- Tom inked his 17th multi-hit game of 2014.
- Tom hit his second sacrifice fly of the season.
- Tom wore his ninth career hit by pitch.
- Senior SS Matt Reida played in his 208th career game, tying him with Spencer Graeter for sixth in UK history.
- Reida’s 193 career starts place him seventh in the UK history books.
- Reida hit his eighth double of the season, the 25th of his career.
- Reida plated multiple hits for the 11th time this season, marking his third four-hit game.
- Reida collected the 37th two-strike hit of his career.
- Junior 3B Max Kuhn has reached base safely in 102 of his 110 career starts, including 14 straight.
- Junior CF Austin Cousino picked up his eighth assist of 2014.
- Senior catcher Micheal Thomas cranked his 12th career home run, the eighth this season.
- Thomas’ homer marks his first game-tying round tripper to go with his four go-ahead home runs.
- Thomas’ home run was the first given up by Mississippi State pitcher Ross Mitchell all season.
- Thomas notched his 18th multi-hit game of the season, his third three-hit game.
- Thomas has inked a hit in four straight games.
- Thomas scored multiple runs for the 12th time in 2014.
- Thomas caught a runner stealing for the 14th time this year.
- Freshman RF Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 19 straight games.
- Wilson has plated a hit in 15 of his last 16 games.
- Wilson had multiple hits for the ninth time of his career.
- Wilson collected his ninth two-out hit of the season.
- Wilson hit his third sacrifice fly of the year.
- Junior 1B Thomas Bernal collected his 15th multi-hit game of 2014.
- Sophomore southpaw Sam Mahar made his 11th appearance of 2014.
- Mahar inherited his 11th and 12th runners of the season, not allowing either to score.
- Sophomore reliever Zach Strecker made his eighth SEC appearance of 2014.
- Strecker inherited two runners, giving him a total of 10 for the season.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett pinch hit for JaVon Shelby in the eighth inning, producing a game-tying RBI.
- Junior Spencer Jack made his 25th appearance of 2014, his 13th of SEC play.
- Jack tossed four innings without allowing an earned run and struck out one.
- The win moves Jack to 4-1 with a 1.19 ERA.
- Sophomore Zach Arnold produced the game-winning RBI in the 12th inning.
- Arnold extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
- Arnold has reached base safely in 14 consecutive games.