Baseball vs. No. 24 Alabama -- 5/20/14 -- Post-Game Notes
May 20, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
Kentucky vs. Alabama
May 20, 2014 -- Hoover, Ala.
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky made its 14th appearance in the Southeastern Conference Tournament.
- It marks the third consecutive trip to Hoover for UK.
- UK moves to 19-29 all-time in the SEC tournament.
- Alabama leads the all-time series 59-38.
- UK is 6-3 on Tuesdays and 6-5 in May.
- Kentucky improves to 5-3 in its blue and grey uniform combination.
- UK is now 20-15 in day games.
- UK turned its 52nd double play of the year.
- UK is 28-2 when out-hitting its opponent.
- Kentucky is 22-15 when facing a right handed starting pitcher.
- Kentucky has hit an SEC-leading 159 two-out RBI in 2014.
- UK is 23-7 when scoring first.
- UK’s elimination-game win was its first in the SEC Tournament since 1996, breaking a string of seven consecutive elimination-game losses.
- Kentucky will continue action against Florida in the second round of the SEC tournament on Wednesday, May 21 with the first pitch set for 5:30 p.m. ET.
- Junior LHP/1B A.J. Reed made his 15th start on the mound this year.
- Reed made his team-leading 110th consecutive start.
- Reed worked five innings, allowed one run and struck out two.
- Reed’s 11 wins in 2014 place him third in UK history.
- Reed’s 18 career victories tie him with Doug Sutton for 10th in UK history.
- Reed has notched a win in each of his last four starts.
- Reed has reached base safely in 51 of 55 games in 2014, including a team-high 26 straight.
- Reed hit his 15th double of the year, the 32nd of his career.
- Reed collected his 12th multi-walk game of the season.
- Senior SS Matt Reida played in his 207th career game, starting in 193 of them.
- Reida hit his second sacrifice fly of 2014.
- Reida notched his 10th multi-hit game of the year.
- Junior CF Austin Cousino has produced a hit in six straight games.
- Cousino collected his 21st two-out hit and 16th two-out RBI of 2014.
- Cousino laid down his fourth sacrifice bunt of the season.
- Senior catcher Micheal Thomas hit his ninth double of 2014, the 15th of his career.
- Thomas collected his 24th two-out hit.
- Junior 3B Max Kuhn has reached base safely in 100 of his 108 career starts, including 12 straight.
- Freshman RF Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 17 straight games.
- Wilson has plated a hit in 13 of his last 14 games.
- Wilson had multiple hits for the eighth time of his career.
- Junior 1B Thomas Bernal has reached base safely in 11 consecutive games.
- Bernal was hit by two pitches, giving him a total of 16 for the season.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby has reached base safely in 12 straight games.
- Shelby had multiple hits for the 11th time of his career.
- Junior right hander Andrew Nelson made his 17th appearance of 2014, his seventh in relief.
- In his last three appearances Nelson has tossed 11 shutout innings, allowing seven hits, while striking out seven.
- Nelson has worked 12.2 innings, allowing two earned runs and nine hits while striking out six vs. Alabama this season.
- Nelson captured the first save of his career with his four inning, two-hit performance.