Baseball vs. No. 6 Vanderbilt -- 5/3/15 -- Postgame Notes
May 3, 2015
No. 6 Vanderbilt at Kentucky
May 3, 2015
Cliff Hagan Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: No. 6 Vanderbilt 7, Kentucky 3
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 26-20, 11-12 in the Southeastern Conference. Vanderbilt is 35-15, 17-7 in the SEC.
- Kentucky leads the all-time series with Vanderbilt, 143-140-5, including a 72-54-1 in games played in Lexington.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 222-171 all-time record in his seventh year.
- Kentucky will return to action on Wednesday, hosting No. 3 Louisville at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Kentucky’s stretch of facing eight consecutive top-10 opponents is the toughest stretch in program history, with complete records dating back to 2003.
- Kentucky has outscored opponents 39-13 in the first inning in 2015.
- UK has hit three three-run homers on the year, 17 in day games and four in the first inning.
- UK is 12-6 when scoring in the first inning.
- UK is 12-6 when hitting at least one home run.
- Kentucky picked off its 11th runner of the year in the second inning.
- UK is 13-8 at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- UK is 17-12 in day games.
- UK is 18-15 when facing a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 4-5 on Sundays.
- UK is 3-3 in its white pants and black uniform top combination.
- UK is 1-2 in May.
- UK is 6-5 in SEC home games.
- UK is 8-13 vs. top-20 teams in 2015, including a 5-10 mark against top-10 foes.
- Sophomore second baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 97th consecutive start.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 43 of his 46 games in 2015.
- Shelby hit his club-high seventh homer of the year and the 11th of his career.
- Between JaVon and his brother John Shelby (2004-06), the Shelby family has combined to hit 44 home runs for Kentucky.
- Shelby has hit two three-run homers on the year, both in the first inning vs. top-20 teams (at UC Santa Barbara).
- UK is 4-3 when Shelby hits a homer.
- Shelby drew his team-leading 33rd walk.
- Junior leftfielder Ka’ai Tom has reached base safely in 42 of his 46 games in 2015 and in 90 of his 101 career games.
- Tom has reached base safely in a team-high 10 consecutive games.
- Tom stole his 15th base in as many attempts in 2015 and has 29 steals in his career.
- Tom was hit by his sixth pitch of the year.
- Freshman first baseman Evan White has reached base safely in 41 of his 43 career games.
- Junior righty Kyle Cody made his 12th appearance of the year and his 10th start.
- Cody has appeared in 45 games with 26 starts in his career.
- Cody picked off his first runner of the year.
- Cody worked his longest outing since March 15 at No. 7 South Carolina.
- Cody was one out shy of working his fourth quality start of the year and the ninth of his career.
- Cody worked into the sixth inning in fourth start of the year.
- UK is 5-5 in Cody’s starts.
- Junior centerfielder Kyle Barrett played in his team-high 135th career game, starting his 119th contest.
- Senior third baseman Thomas Bernal has played in 135 games in his career with 107 starts.
- Bernal has 127 hits in his career, tying him for 32nd in UK history with Mike Breyman (2003-04).
- Sophomore lefty Logan Salow appeared in his 19th game of the year and the 42nd of his career.
- Salow inherited his 18th runner of the year, allowing only eight to score.
- Salow has inherited 41 runners in his career, with only 11 scoring.
- Junior outfielder Dorian Hairston stole his third base of the year and the third of his career.
- Hairston notched his 10th multi-hit game of the year.
- Junior righty Zach Strecker appeared in his team-high 21st game of the year and the 55th of his career.
- Freshman southpaw Zach Logue appeared in his 16th game of the year.
- Senior righty Spencer Jack appeared in his 18th game of the year and the 44th of his career.