Baseball vs. No. 6 Vanderbilt -- 5/2/15 -- Postgame Notes
May 2, 2015
No. 6 Vanderbilt at Kentucky
May 2, 2015
Cliff Hagan Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 11, No. 6 Vanderbilt 5
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 26-19, 11-11 in the Southeastern Conference. Vanderbilt is 34-15, 16-7 in the SEC.
- Kentucky leads the all-time series with Vanderbilt, 143-139-5, including a 72-53-1 in games played in Lexington.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 222-170 all-time record in his seventh year.
- The series will conclude on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Kentucky’s stretch of facing eight consecutive top-10 opponents is the toughest stretch in program history, with complete records dating back to 2003.
- Vanderbilt scored in the first inning, making UK 5-12 when its opponent scores first and 2-7 when they score in the first inning.
- UK has allowed only 12 first-inning runs in 2015.
- With Dorian Hairston’s homer in the second inning, UK has hit 14 solo homers and 23 on the year.
- UK is 2-2 when Hairston homers.
- UK has hit seven homers in night games.
- UK has hit six homers off left-handed pitching.
- Kentucky is 12-5 when hitting at least one homer.
- With a four-run third inning, UK has scored 42 runs in the third inning in 2015.
- UK is 6-1 in its blue jersey top and white pants uniform combination.
- UK is 8-5 vs. left-handed starting pitchers.
- UK is 10-5 on Saturdays.
- UK is 9-8 in night games.
- UK is 13-7 at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- UK is 1-1 in May.
- UK is 6-4 in SEC home games.
- UK is 8-12 vs. top-20 teams in 2015, including a 5-9 mark against top-10 foes.
- Sophomore second baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 97th consecutive start.
- Shelby doubled for the 10th time in 2015 and the 16th time in his career.
- Shelby has reached base safely in 42 of his 45 games in 2015.
- Shelby has eight multi-RBI games in 2015 and 14 in his career.
- Junior leftfielder Ka’ai Tom has reached base safely in 41 of his 45 games in 2015 and in 89 of his 100 career games.
- Tom has reached base safely in a team-high nine consecutive games.
- Tom was hit by his fifth pitch of the year and the 14th of his career.
- Junior righty Dustin Beggs made his 12th start of the year, with UK owning an 8-4 record in his starts.
- Beggs has worked at least eight innings in four consecutive starts.
- Beggs has worked at least six innings in nine starts and in nine of his last 10 starts.
- Beggs had won four consecutive starts.
- Beggs has worked a team-high eight quality starts.
- Beggs set a new career high with 12 strikeouts.
- Beggs has struck out six or more hitters in four consecutive games and in six starts.
- Beggs is the first UK player with double-digit strikeouts since Zack Brown fanned 11 in a shutout win over Northern Kentucky on March 8, 2015.
- Junior rightfielder Dorian Hairston belted his third homer of the year.
- Hairston’s homer was his first in his last 37 at-bats.
- Hairston has hit all three homers vs. SEC competition.
- It was Hairston’s first opposite-field homer.
- Hairston’s homer came on a 2-2 count, his first career two-strike homer.
- Hairston notched his fourth multi-RBI game of the year and the seventh of his career.
- Hairston’s two-hit game was his ninth multi-hit game of the year and the 12th of his career.
- Sophomore shortstop Connor Heady set a career high with three hits, the fourth time in his career with a multi-hit game.
- Heady was hit by his 12th pitch of the year and the 14th of his career.
- Freshman first baseman Evan White recorded his 17th multi-hit game of the year.
- White has had two hits in eight of his last 11 games.
- White has reached base safely in 40 of his 42 career games.
- Junior centerfielder Kyle Barrett played in his team-high 135th career game, starting his 119th contest.
- Barrett has reached base safely in 37 of 43 games in 2015 and in 104 of his 120 career starts.
- Barrett has 156 career hits, one away from Chris Bisson (2008-10) for 24th in UK history.
- Barrett doubled for the 11th time in 2015 and the 21st time in his career.
- Barrett has 23 multi-hit games on the year and 46 in his career.
- Barrett has six multi-RBI games in 2015 and 11 on his career.
- Senior third baseman Thomas Bernal has played in 135 games in his career with 107 starts.