No. 25 Baseball at Tennessee -- 5/1/14 -- Post-Game Notes
May 2, 2014
2014 Kentucky Baseball
No. 25 UK at Tennessee
May 1, 2014 -- Knoxville, Tenn.
Lindsey Nelson Stadium
Team Records and Notes
- With the win, Kentucky improved to 28-17, 10-12 in the Southeastern Conference. Tennessee drops to 26-17, 8-14 in the SEC.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson is now 187-141 in his six-year career.
- In the Henderson era, UK owns a 166-7 record when staked to an eighth-inning lead.
- UK is now 4-3 in its blue/gray uniform combination.
- UK is now 1-0 on Thursdays.
- UK is 8-7 on the road in 2014 and 5-5 on the road in the SEC.
- UK improves to 10-4 in night games.
- The Wildcats are now 19-12 when facing a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is now 9-10 when its opponent scores first and 6-6 when its opponent scores in the first inning.
- UK now has an SEC-leading 142 two-out RBI in 2014 and is the only school in the SEC with at least 100 two-out RBI.
- Kentucky posted its 14th six or more run inning of the year.
- UK turned a pair of double plays to bring its total to 43 in 2014, which is tied for the SEC lead.
- The series resumes on Friday at 6 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com, with Bob Kesling and Charlie Puleo calling the action. The game will also be broadcast live on the UK IMG Radio Network, with the Voice of UK Baseball, Neil Price, calling the action. Fans in Central Kentucky can hear the game live on WLAP 630-AM, in Louisville on WKJK 1080-AM and online at UKathletics.com. UK will send sophomore southpaw Dylan Dwyer (5-2, 3.96 ERA) vs. senior UT righty Nick Wiliams (4-4, 3.80 ERA).
- Junior LHP/1B A.J. Reed made his team-leading 101st consecutive start.
- Reed has made 26 consecutive weekend-opening starts on the mound.
- Reed has appeared in 42 games and 31 starts.
- Reed was intentionally walked for the 12th time in 2014.
- Reed has nine two-walk games in 2014.
- Reed has 37 career homers and 157 career RBI, ranking tied for third in UK history in both categories.
- Reed has 62 RBI in 2014, which is the eighth-most in UK single-season history.
- Reed lowered his career ERA to 2.96, which ranks fourth in UK history.
- Reed struck out nine, the second-most strikeouts in a single game in his career.
- Reed has a team-high 17 multi-RBI games in 2014 and 32 in his career.
- Reed owns 15 career wins.
- Reed is the first player since Ryan Strieby, the 2006 SEC Player of the Year, to hit 20 homers in a season.
- Reed is the eighth player in program history with 20 or more homers in a season.
- Reed’s 20 homers ranks tied for third in UK single-season history.
- Reed worked his ninth quality start of the year and the 18th of his career.
- Reed has worked at least seven innings in nine of 12 starts in 2014.
- Reed has reached base safely in 41 of 45 games in 2014.
- Reed has reached base safely in a team-high 16 straight games.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made now played in 197 career games, ranking 11th in UK history.
- Reida has started 182 career games, the 10th-most in UK history.
- Junior first baseman Thomas Bernal hit cleanup for the first time in his career.
- Bernal was hit by his team-leading 12th pitch of the year.
- Bernal is now tied for 15th in UK single-season history with 12 HBP.
- Freshman rightfield Storm Wilson doubled for the third time in 2014.
- Wilson hit his fourth homer of the year, an inside the parker, and his third in the last four games.
- Wilson notched his seventh two-out hit and his 10th two-out RBI.
- Wilson now has five two-hit games in 2014.
- Wilson finished with a career-high four RBI.
- Wilson hung his second career sac fly.
- Junior third baseman Max Kuhn has now reached base safely in 90 of 98 career starts.
- Kuhn drew his SEC-leading 33rd walk of the year.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino extended his hitting streak to a club-high nine games.
- Cousino has now reached base safely in 148 of 161 career games.
- Cousino stole his 15th base in 15 attempts.
- Cousino now has 44 steals in his career, ranking eighth in UK history.
- Cousino passes Mike Harris (1989-91) for 11th with his 46th career steal attempt.
- Sophomore leftfielder Ka’ai Tom hit his first career homer, a three-run blast to rightfield.
- It snapped a streak of 129 at-bats to open the year without a homer.
- Tom now has 18 two-out hits and 10 two-out RBI.
- Sophomore Zach Strecker made his 14th relief appearance of the year.