Baseball vs. No. 6 Vanderbilt -- Postgame Notes
May 1, 2015
No. 6 Vanderbilt at Kentucky
May 1, 2015
Cliff Hagan Stadium -- Lexington, Ky.
FINAL SCORE: No. 6 Vanderbilt 13, Kentucky 3
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 25-19, 10-11 in the Southeastern Conference. Vanderbilt is 34-14, 16-6 in the SEC
- Kentucky leads the all-time series with Vanderbilt, 142-139-5, including a 71-53-1 in games played in Lexington.
- UK coach Gary Henderson has a 221-170 all-time record in his seventh year.
- The series will resume on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Cliff Hagan Stadium, with the game set for broadcast on SEC Network+.
- Kentucky’s stretch of facing eight consecutive top-10 opponents is the toughest stretch in program history, with complete records dating back to 2003.
- UK allowed its first home run since April 14 vs. Western Kentucky.
- UK is 3-11 when allowing multiple homers.
- UK is 1-7 when its opponent scores in the first inning and 4-12 when its opponent scores first.
- UK is 7-5 when hitting a home run.
- UK has hit six home runs in night games, 14 in SEC play and 17 vs. right-handed pitchers.
- UK has hit seven of its 22 homers at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Kentucky laid down its 18th sacrifice bunt of the year.
- UK turned its 43rd double play of the year.
- Kentucky picked off its 10th runner of the year.
- UK is 8-8 in night games.
- UK is 6-4 on Fridays.
- UK is 0-1 in May.
- UK is 5-4 in SEC home games.
- UK is 18-14 vs. a RHSP.
- UK is 7-12 vs. top-20 teams in 2015, including a 4-9 mark against top-10 foes.
- Sophomore second baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 96th consecutive start.
- Shelby hit his sixth homer of the year and the 10th of his career.
- Including John Shelby (2004-06), the Shelby family has hit 43 homers in Kentucky baseball history.
- Shelby has hit two solo homers on the year and it was his first homer in his last 17 at-bats.
- UK is 4-2 when Shelby hits a homer.
- Shelby drew his team-leading 32nd walk of the year.
- Senior third baseman Thomas Bernal has played in 134 games in his career with 106 starts.
- Bernal has 125 hits in his career, tying him with Chad Stewart (2003-04) for 33rd in UK history.
- Bernal belted his eighth double of the year and the 20th of his career.
- Junior leftfielder Ka’ai Tom has reached base safely in 40 of his 44 games in 2015 and in 88 of his 99 career games.
- Tom has 133 hits in his career, tying him for 29th place with Max Kuhn (2012-14).
- Tom has 21 multi-hit games on the year and 40 in his career.
- Tom’s .348 career average ranks tied with John Wilson (.348; 1998-2000) and seventh in UK history.
- Sophomore righty Zack Brown made his 12th appearance of the year and his 11th start of the year.
- Brown has appeared in 31 games with 16 starts in his career.
- UK is 6-5 when Brown starts.
- Brown had his streak of consecutive scoreless innings pitched streak snapped at 15.2, dating back to April 10 vs. Arkansas.
- Brown picked off his third runner, equaling him for the team lead.
- Brown worked over six innings for the seventh consecutive start.
- Sophomore centerfielder Marcus Carson laid down his first career sacrifice bunt.
- Junior catcher Zach Arnold extended his hitting streak to a club-high seven games.
- Arnold has six multi-hit games on the year and eight in his career.
- Freshman lefty Brad Schaenzer appeared in his 11th game of the year.
- Junior righty Bo Wilson appeared in his sixth game of the year for UK.