Baseball at Arkansas -- 4/11/15 -- Postgame Notes
April 12, 2015
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY POSTGAME NOTES
Kentucky at Arkansas
Baum Stadium at George Cole Field
April 11, 2015
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 16, Arkansas 4
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 19-14, 5-8 in the Southeastern Conference. Arkansas is 19-16, 6-8 in the SEC.
- UK head coach Gary Henderson has a 215-165 all-time record in his seventh year.
- Henderson has a 7-7 all-time record vs. Arkansas.
- Arkansas leads the all-time series with Kentucky, 36-24, including a 19-10 all-time record in Arkansas.
- Kentucky’s 12-run win over Arkansas is the largest in series history, topping a 10-run win in 1998.
- Kentucky will return to action on Sunday, with first pitch slated for 1:05 p.m. ET at Baum Stadium, with the game broadcast live on SEC Network+ and on the UK Radio Network. Due to league travel policy, no new inning can begin after 5 p.m. ET to accommodate UK’s travel plans.
- Kentucky’s 13-run win is the largest loss for Arkansas in Baum Stadium history.
- UK is 15-4 when scoring first and 9-4 when scoring in the first inning.
- UK has scored 31 runs in the first inning in 2015.
- UK is 13-9 when facing a right-handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 7-5 on Saturdays.
- UK notched its 16th bunt single of the year in the first inning.
- UK’s seven-run inning in the third was UK’s biggest inning since scoring seven vs. No. 20 Mississippi State on March 20 in the second inning.
- UK scored a season-high 15 runs, topping 12-run outings vs. No. 16 UC Santa Barbara and at No. 1 LSU.
- UK’s 12-run win was its largest since a 13-0 win at Georgia in 2014.
- Junior leftfielder Ka’ai Tom extended his hitting streak to six games.
- Tom set a new career high with four RBI, eclipsing his previous best of three RBI, done seven times over his two-year career.
- Tom now has 35 RBI in 2015 and 76 in his two-year career.
- Tom passed former UK slugger Gunner Glad (2009-10) and tied Thomas Bernal (2011-15) and Michael Williams (2009-12) on the career hit list with 119 career hits for 35th all-time.
- Tom ripped his 10th double of the year and the 23rd of his career.
- Tom has 22 two-out hits and 19 two-out RBI in 2015 and 49 two-out hits and 36 two-out RBI in his career.
- Tom is the first UK player with five RBI in a game since AJ Reed (2012-14) on March 1, 2013 vs. Akron.
- Tom hung his fourth sacrifice fly of the year and the sixth of his career.
- Tom notched his fifth three-hit game of the year and the 11th of his career.
- Tom has 36 multi-hit games in his career and 17 on the year.
- Junior outfielder Dorian Hairston notched his sixth two-strike hit of the year.
- Hairston was hit by his fifth pitch of the year and the seventh of his career.
- Hairston notched his second consecutive multi-hit game, his fifth of the year and the eighth of his career.
- Sophomore second baseman JaVon Shelby made his team-leading 85th consecutive start.
- Shelby drew his team-high 22nd walk of the year.
- Shelby extended his hitting streak to a club-best seven games.
- Shelby totaled his sixth multi-walk game of the year, tying his career high, set at No. 7 South Carolina.
- Shelby hit his third homer of the year, tying him for the team lead, and the seventh of his career.
- JaVon’s family has hit 40 homers in their UK careers, with his brother John Shelby (2004-06) hitting 33 in his career.
- Shelby has 26 RBI in 2015 and 47 in his career.
- Junior centerfielder Kyle Barrett played in his team-leading 124th career game, starting his team-best 108th contest.
- Barrett has reached base safely in 29 of 32 games in 2015 and in 93 of his 108 career starts, or in 86 percent of his career starts.
- Barrett now has 144 career hits, ranking 27th in UK history.
- Barrett now has 18 two-out hits and eight two-out RBI.
- Barrett ripped his second triple of the year and the third of his career.
- Barrett has 18 RBI in 2015 and 51 in his career.
- Barrett has 19 multi-hit games in 2015 and 40 in his career.
- Barrett has four multi-RBI games and eighth in his career.
- Junior righty Dustin Beggs made his ninth weekend start of the year.
- Beggs has worked at least five innings in seven consecutive starts and in eight innings in his nine starts.
- Beggs set a new career high with eight innings pitched.
- Freshman first baseman Evan White laid down his second bunt single of the year.
- White now has nine multi-hit games and notched his second three-hit game in 2015.
- Sophomore rightfielder Storm Wilson hung his career-high tying third sacrifice fly of the year.
- Wilson now has 12 RBI in 2015 and 32 in his career.
- Junior catcher Zach Arnold notched a pair of two-out RBI, giving him three on the year and six two-out hits.
- Arnold set a new career high with three RBI.
- Arnold has two multi-RBI games in 2015 and four in his career.
- Arnold hung his sixth sac fly of his career and the third of his 2015.
- Sophomore shortstop Connor Heady was hit by his seventh, eighth and ninth pitches of the year and has 11 in his career.
- Heady reached base six times in the game, a career-best.
- Senior third baseman Thomas Bernal was hit by his SEC-leading 11th pitch of the year and the 37th of his career.
- Bernal passes Antone DeJesus (2005-06) for sole possession of third place on the UK career list with his 37th HBP.
- Bernal drew his second two-walk game of the year.
- Freshman infielder Riley Mahan appeared in his 30th game.
- Mahan is tied with Hairston with 10 pinch-hit at-bats.
- Freshman righty Zach Pop appeared in his seventh career game.
- Freshman infielder/catcher Troy Squires appeared in his 11th game.
- Squires has four pinch-hit at-bats in 2015.