No. 13 Baseball vs. Austin Peay - Postgame Notes
April 9, 2013
GAME NOTES: Kentucky is now 18-3 when scoring first … UK improves to 7-4 vs. left-handed starting pitching … UK is 4-5 in night games … UK is now 15-4 at Cliff Hagan Stadium … UK is 7-1 in midweek games … UK is now 6-3 in its blue and white uniform combination … After allowing 3-of-4 inherited runners to score, UK has allowed 23-of-69 inherited runners to score in 2013 (33 percent) … UK leads the all-time series with Austin Peay, 11-2, including a 9-1 all-time mark in games played in Lexington … The two teams had not met since 2002, with UK winning the last five consecutive meetings … UK is now 3-0 against Ohio Valley Conference teams in 2013.
- For the first time in his 97-game UK career, sophomore centerfielder Austin Cousino did not bat leadoff, hitting No. 3.
- Junior second baseman J.T. Riddle made his team-leading 99th consecutive start.
- Freshman rightfielder Kyle Barrett hit leadoff for the first time in his career.
- On a lineout double play in the second inning, Barrett recorded his second career outfield assist.
- Barrett notched his first career triple in the sixth inning, scoring a pair of runs.
- Freshman right-hander Kyle Cody made his fifth career start.
- Cody worked 5.1 innings, the second-longest outing of his career.
- Senior leftfielder Zac Zellers has reached base safely in 15 consecutive games after a leadoff single in the fifth.
- Zellers stole his fourth base of the year and the 11th of his career.
- With a second-inning single, Max Kuhn has now reached base safely in 29 of 32 games in 2013.
- Freshman Zack Storm made his first career start.
- Storm scored his first career run in the sixth inning.
- Storm recorded his first career hit in the fourth inning.
- Junior shortstop Matt Reida recorded a two-strike, two-out RBI single in the fourth inning, his eighth two-out hit and his seventh two-out RBI.
- Reida now has eight two-strike hits.
- Reida had his second two-walk game of the year.
- Sophomore Chandler Shepherd came on in relief in a 1-out, 2-on jam in the sixth, allowing one of two inherited runners to score. Has now inherited 19 runners in 2013, allowing nine to score.
- Junior Micheal Thomas extended his team-high hitting streak to four games with a single in the sixth.
- Senior righty Walter Wijas came on in a 0-out, runners on the corners jam in the eighth.
- Wijas balked for the first time since 2010.
- Wijas allowed a pair of inherited runners to score and has allowed four of 13 inherited runners to score in 2013.
- Junior Trevor Gott recorded his eighth save of the year and the 19th of his three-year career.
- Gott’s eight saves ranks tied for second in UK single-season history, just one behind his school record set in 2012.
- With 19 career saves, Gott extends his own career school record.