Baseball vs. Canisius -- Postgame Notes
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky improves their record to 14-8 in 2011, while Canisius falls to 6-14 on the season.
• Kentucky now has an all-time record of 3-0 against Canisius. These teams played a two-game series in 2007 with UK winning 13-2 and 12-10 on back-to-back nights.
• The Cats have won eight of their last nine games, and 10 of their last 12.
• UK head coach Gary Henderson is now 73-59 in his coaching career.
• The Wildcats are now 1648-825-8 in NCAA play all-time.
Team Game Notes
• Kentucky has a 9-2 record when scoring first in 2011.
• Eight of nine UK starters recorded a hit. It was part of a 15 hit night for Kentucky. The Wildcats also improved to 10-0 this season when they out-hit their opponent.
• The Cats have held their opponent to four runs or under in six of their last eight games.
• UK continues to light up the scoreboard in the fourth inning of play as the Wildcats are outscoring their opponents 29-7 in the second inning in 2011. The Cats plated five runs in the bottom of the fourth frame tonight.
• The Wildcats are now 12-8 in non-conference games this season.
• The Wildcats are now 12-3 at Cliff Hagan Stadium in 2011, and 566-325-2 all-time at home.
• Kentucky is now 2-1 this season when playing on Wednesday.
• Taylor Black, Chad Wright, Braden Kapteyn and Thomas McCarthy continued to be the only Wildcats to start all 22 games this season for UK.
• UK is now 10-5 when facing a starting right-handed pitcher.
• Kentucky improves to 12-7 during day games.
• UK is now 9-4 following a win this season.
• The win gave Kentucky their fourth win of the year over the Mid American Athletic Conference (MAAC). The Cats have not lost a game this year vs. a MAAC school.
• This was the third time this year Kentucky scored double-digit runs. UK defeated Morehead State 12-3 on Feb. 22, and Illinois-Chicago 13-3 on Feb. 26.
• UK up’s its record to 13-1 when leading after the eighth inning.
• The Wildcats are now sitting at .714 with a 10-4 record in the month of March.
• Kentucky’s next game is Friday, March 25 as the Cats will travel to Tuscaloosa, Ala., to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide. The game will begin at 7:35 p.m. EST with the voice of UK Baseball, Neil Price calling the game on WLAP 630-AM and streamed live on UKathletics.com. Coverage will begin at 7:15 p.m.
Individual Game Notes
• Taylor Black started his 62nd straight game at shortstop which is a team-high for most consecutive games started at one position.
o Had a two out single plating two in the bottom of the fourth. It was his 15th and 16th RBI of the season.
o Went 3-5 on the night including scoring two runs.
o Delivered a base hit through the right side in the bottom of the eighth inning with the bases loaded. Those were his 17th and 18th RBI of the year.
• Jonathan Paquet struck out the first two batters of the ballgame which were part of a career-best five strikeout night.
o Did not allow a hit until the eighth man in the order.
o Went a career-long 4.1 innings.
o Threw 74 pitches, and 48 for strikes.
o Did not allow a walk.
o Allowed five hits and only two runs (both earned).
• Chad Wright has now reached safely in 11 consecutive games.
o Had a one out double in the bottom of the first inning.
o He later came around to score the Wildcat’s first run of the game when Thomas McCarthy doubled to left-center field in the next at-bat. It was his 15th run scored in 2011.
o Reached scoring position every time he got on the base-paths.
o All was part of a 3-4 night which included being hit by two pitches.
• Thomas McCarthy went 1-5 on the night.
o Doubled in his first at-bat to left-center field, scoring Chad Wright from 2nd base. It was his ninth RBI on the season.
• Mike Kaczmarek had a 2-3 night.
o He has now hit safely in eight of the last nine games.
o Hit his first career home run in the bottom of the fifth inning.
o Scored two runs in the game and also drew a walk.
• Braden Kapteyn had a two on-two out single to left field that scored two Wildcats making the score 6-1 at the time.
o Drove in two more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning for his team-leading 20th and 21st RBI on the 2011 campaign.
o Went 2-6 on the night.
• Tyler Townsend made his first career appearance as a Wildcat in the top of the eighth inning at second base.
o In his first plate appearance, he got hit by a pitch on the fourth pitch of the at-bat.